No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass bowl id help  (Read 609 times)

Offline boxed

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • northern england
glass bowl id help
« on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Hi guys
i have this green glass bowl and wondered who the maker might be
ive looked about and its probably just some small nameless factory
but if anybody might have any thoughts id be grateful to find out
regards
(Boxed)
Joe

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: glass bowl id help
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:22:40 PM »
it looks interesting  -  is that heavy wear I'm seeing on the underside - and take it that it's a 'from the mould finish to the base, rather than having a ground/polished pontil in some way.        Also is there any sort of clear casing - if so is it thick?

There have been some good bubbled sorts of productions from the first third of the C20 - I wondered if this might have been some sort of Cluthra (not Clutha) glass  :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline boxed

• Members
    • paperweights
    • northern england
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:49 PM »
Hi paul
yes lots of wear on the base and it does have a clear casing and it is quite thick but id say its a ground down pontil but not with any confidence
ive never heard of cluthra glass its it british?
Cheers
boxed
(Joe)

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
Hi Joe,
It looks similar to this from Nazeing
http://www.decorative-antiques.co.uk/displayImage.asp?GID=18589&key=Nazeing%20Glass%20Cloud%20&%20Bubble%20Glass%20Cased%20Bowl
If you look on google images for Nazeing green bowls, there are a few of similar form and different colourways.
Regards
Nick

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:39:17 PM »
Hi,
I also wondered if it was Nazeing but not certain - if you look at the bubbles closely do they have a darker ring of colour around them?
Roberta

Offline boxed

• Members
    • paperweights
    • northern england
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:55:39 PM »
Hi guys
when you hold it up to the light some are darker and some not so and alot less bubbles in the glass then the one on the link but both the nazeing and a cluthra one ive just seen both look the same as mine

Offline boxed

• Members
    • paperweights
    • northern england
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:17:44 AM »
Not sure if it helps with id -the weight is 818 gramms and its just over 6.5cm high and 12cm wide

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
I'm having trouble finding this shape in Geoff. Timberlake's book.            Nazeing appear to have made few items with a good 'bowl-shaped' symmetrically curved side profile - although in fact this one looks almost irregular and not a real curve.      For this reason I'd suggest it's not a match for the bowl in Nick's link.
The factory did produce a couple of designs under the heading of 'Sundry Art Glass Bowls and Dishes' which are very 'bowl-shaped', but those have side profiles showing greater curves than this piece.

My opinion would also be that if this doesn't show a small ground/polished depression on the underside of the foot, then that might also discount Nazeing.

Most of Nazeing's colours are quite variable - with bluey-greens and pale and darker versions of green, so this may be the least helpful feature - green was possibly the most common colour from Nazeing.

Of all the makers who dabbled in bubbled glass from around that period, Nazeing is possibly the most likely factory to find - sometimes quite common at antiques fairs - which raises the chances of this being from them, but I'm still having trouble with the shape.

The reason for mentioning Cluthra was because that product, apparently, was given a very heavy and thick clear casing  -  but since I've never knowingly seen a piece then regret can't comment further.

As you'd imagine, we've discussed Nazeing's glass and its bubbles to death on past occasions  -  use the Board's search and you find acres to read. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand