No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Vase  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Pnair

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass Works
    • Canada
Jobling Vase
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:16:24 AM »
Hi Steven,
[Mod: this was originally posted as a reply to a thread in the Market Place forum.
A second item (Blue Vase) included has now been posted separately]

I am just trying to help my mother identify a Jobling Vase she has. Its her Grandmothers any information will help.

She also has a Blue crystal vase ( not sure if it is Crystal but she was told so).

I have attached pictures of both.

- Year of Manufacture.
- Any more information on the Manufacturer (history).
- Materials.
- Insurance Value.

Thank you in anticipation.
Praveen Nair.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Jobling Vase
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:45:13 AM »
Hi Praveen, welcome to the Board.

I have separated your post from the Market Place forum and placed it here in the main Glass forum, which is where all ID requests belong.

Also, we like requests to be related to one item (unless each is definitely known to be from the same maker and is connected in some way).

Is your Jobling request in respect of only the lady in a bowl?
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:07:20 PM »
the bowl, frog, plinth and figurine set appears to be Jobling Catalogue 2541 - described in Baker & Crowe as 'Statue and block', and came in the usual Jobling colours - size is quoted as 11" high.          This plinth is quite distinctive with the row of flats that run around the middle, and the cut-outs around the base.
I can't see from the attached picture if the pressed bowl pattern is fir cone, but it may have been produced in that pattern only, I'm not sure.
This particular set appears to be mis-matched..............   the bowl appears to be Jade (the more expensive colour originally, and uranium)  -  the figurine and block look to be satin green (non-uranium?) and the plinth is standard black.
The catalogue shows examples where all four pieces were offered in matching colour, but whether there was ever a jade plinth I'm not sure  -  possibly you could have whatever combination you wished.

It seems that the factory didn't Register this design - at least the catalogue is suggesting there isn't a Registration No. for this item.
If the catalogue No. is anything to go by (which it may not - but possibly not too mis-leading) then date wise I'd suggest this was brought into production around late 1933. :)

sorry, don't recognize the urn shaped vase.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »
The Jobling lady is most likely uranium glass, just not jade. A mismatch as Paul says. What is the flower block? A picture of the bowl too would be good as there are several pattern options.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »
I've just thought  -  perhaps the block and figurine come as a single unit  -  the block looks to be the same satin colour as the lady.           Could be wrong, but have a feeling this particular bowl is fir cone.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 04:38:38 PM »
Don't think the block and lady are one. Mine certainly isn't

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
fairy nuff  -  I was guessing - never good. ;)

Offline Pnair

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass Works
    • Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
Thank you all for your responses. KevinH thanks for cleaning up my post, comments noted. ;D

The flower block is similar material to the lady and is a separate piece. The Complete Vase (with the Lady and flower block) was purchased as a set in India around the 1930's by my maternal great grandmother.

There is a number of the Bowl, I will send the details shortly and also upload pictures of the separate pieces.

Regards,
Praveen.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »
look forward to hearing about details on the bowl Praveen, it may help to identify the pattern on yours.
A percentage of Jobling bowls show the Rd. No. for whatever particular pattern it is.               Some Fir Cone bowls - for example - show  REGD. NO. 777133, which I believe was the first registered design from Jobling, and was registered with the Board of Trade on 29th September 1932, although the date of Registration for any pressed glass design doesn't mean that it was made on that date.
In fact judging by the quantity of Fir Cone bowls in existence, and the fact that Jobling re-registered 777133 giving protection until 1942, suggests that there are many pieces of this pattern which obviously were made some years after first Registration.
Other patterns will show a similar 'REGD. NO.' followed by a different No.
Probably true to say that the majority of Registrations from this factory received only the statutory 5 year protection - with the most popular ones being re-registered for a total of 10 years.              Could be wrong, but I can't see any that appear to have been protected beyond 10 years.
If possible, look forward to seeing a clearer picture of the bowl showing the pattern.

Just to clarify my earlier comment ..... "It seems that the factory didn't Register this design"............ this is misleading, and I should have made it clear that this refers to the figurine and block ONLY, and not the bowl or plinth. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand