No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hi, How can I verify if this is Paul Ysart  (Read 7841 times)

Offline Barbelcatcher

• Members
Hi, How can I verify if this is Paul Ysart
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:01:39 AM »
Hi all,

I have recently been selling part of my aunt hoard of glass and pottery on eBay, and recently listed this

http://i6.tinypic.com/14cd7nk.jpg

as just glass paperweigt Circa 1920's, to be informed that it may be a Paul Ysart.  Being an Enginner I also strive to describe everything correctly and I also owe it to my aunt to maximise her money.

I can see no label or signature and would ask how this may be verified as a Paul Ysart.

Thanking you inanticipation of help

Peter.

My apologies if this is incorrect as it is only the first time I have used such a service

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »
Hi Peter,

Paperweights with encased military badges on coloured chips were certainly made by Paul Ysart (most likely in the 1930s) but he was not the only one to do this. Belgium is believed to be at least one other source.

There is actually no fool-proof method of confirming the maker of weights like this. They were individual personal keepsake items rather than regular production pieces.

However, yours seems to show gold aventurine amongst the coloured chips and this is a good sign that it may well have been made by Paul Ysart. A photo of the base, to show how it is finished would provide other clues. Does the glass dome appear to be "dark" or "grey", rather than very clear? If so, that could also fit for an Ysart item from that period.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Barbelcatcher

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:49:21 AM »
Thanks Kev,

It would appear that I have posted to the wrong section.

I will repost with more photogarphs.

Thank you for your help,

Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:23:46 AM »
This is the right section for paperweights. As Kevin said these were made by Paul but also by others. Many lack the quality of finish associated with PY and hence Kevin's additional questions.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand