Author Topic: Large heavy Sommerso bowl?  (Read 644 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Large heavy Sommerso bowl?
« on: June 14, 2006, 01:22:33 PM »
I've had this bowl for quite a while.  It's probably the biggest sommerso bowl I've ever seen.  :shock: ...but maybe I've led a sheltered life?!

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2301

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2302

I've never asked about it, as I presume it's fairly generic, although gorgeous!  Any thoughts?  :D

Meaures a good 6.5" across the top, very heavy and perfect but with good base wear.
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:19:23 PM »
Oooh nice vase — I just love these big chunky monsters. Anyway, I hate to enter a "mine's bigger than yours" debate :shock:  but I have one that's about 7" (18cm) across from point-point and 4ΒΌ" (11cm) tall. A rather mundane smoke-grey sommerso so nowhere near as nice as yours and I do personally favour the green/yellow colour :)

I've no idea to maker and won't even bother suggesting Flavio Poli for Seguso, but Cenedese and Nason both made these styles, I believe, although Nason appear to be commonly in the less attractive colours (like mine). But I think the style was widely copied on Murano – imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...
David
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:24:57 PM »
Darn!  I rather wanted someone to say 'definitely Flavio Poli'...  :lol:  :x You knew I wanted to hear that!  :lol:

Umm...it's the 'imitation' thing that makes identifying sooo hard.  Maybe it everyone signed their work?  :P  :P  8)
I am not a man

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com
Search
eBay.com