No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano? (1)  (Read 1036 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Murano? (1)
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:22 PM »
I have a pair of little pieces, one has a Murano label, but they really feel much more Chinese than Murano.

Do people agree this is most likely a fraudulent use of the Murano label, on a Chinese item?
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Murano? (1)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
Not necessarily "fraudulent".

As has been discussed in earlier threads, it is known that some outlets in Murano (or mainland Italy) offer Chinese weights etc., but perhaps with some element of finishing completed in Murano. Such activity probably "validates" the use of a Murano label.

On the other hand ...?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: Murano? (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
I've had reports from some of my Italian friends in the glass trade that some of the Murano studios have been purchased by Chinese companies and so there may be a chance that these may actually be made in Murano exactly as they do in China. or they may be just shipping them from a factory in China and grinding the bottoms in Murano to allow them to use these labels as you have suggested.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand