No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it possible to find cheap Ysart weights?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Is it possible to find cheap Ysart weights?
« on: March 12, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »
[Mod: I have split this out of an earlier thread as it has now become a separate, and specific, discussion.]

Sophie said (in another thread):
... it is possible to find a cheap Ysart now and then

Indeed! Like this one recently completed on eBay 151606195497
Ysart yes, but not by Paul I think. And only the one bidder!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: Is it possible to find cheap Ysart weights?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »
I saw that and thought not Ysart?

Is it or not please Kev?
Roberta

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »
I think it is by Salvador.
KevinH

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
Hi,
sorry to hijack this thread  - It reminds a bit me of those badge weights  - some that are Ysart and others that are not - probably Bohemian (I think?);  but it also reminds me of the Strathearn 'multi-coloured speckled' glass - please educate me as to why you think Salvador (shape, glass colour maybe) and not another Ysart brother (or not Ysart at all)

Thanks Kev  :)
Roberta

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:52:47 AM »
Ok, first of all, I will say ... I have the weight by my computer. (Quickly paid for and quickly delivered by the seller.)

I was fascinated by the coloured chips / bits and the way they were neatly formed to construct the ground. And I was also fascinated by why nobody was prepared to bid! I had my doubts about it to begin with, but the more I looked at the photos, the happier I was that it was an ok Salvador Ysart weight. My reasons were:

1. The "fountain arms" are made from thin, translucent twist canes and that feature ties in with others that have been attributed to Salvador on various visual aspects. I have yet to see a Paul Ysart "fountain" weight that has thin, translucent arms like these. ( * )

2. The coloured chips reminded me somewhat of the ground in another Salvador weight I have, which includes some distinctive "Salvador canes".

3. The base is finished with a quite neat, but still uneven, ground out pontil area

4. There is pitting around the outer parts of the base. This is a feature that occurs a great deal in Salvador's "3D Butterfly" and "Upright Flower" weights, as well as in many other weights most likely from the Ysart Bros years.

5. And now that I have it, it is clear, when viewed in profile and with transmitted light, that the dome is full of wreathing. Not a feature found to any great extent in a Paul Ysart weight.

( * ) For those with access to copies, please see the PCC 2013 Ysart Exhibition Catalogue, page 92 for four examples of Slavador Ysart "fountain" (or "carousel") weights. And also Bob Hall's Scottish Paperweights book, page 51 for another example.

I was certainly interested in this weight for possible comparison to other "coloured chip / bits" examples that may, or may not, be Ysart items.
KevinH

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 09:02:14 AM »
It is possible to find cheap weights on occasion just a matter of being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, I have in the last year bought Paul Ysart weights for between £5 and £20, the seller of course had no idea what they were selling to them they were just paperweights.

Nick

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:39:41 AM »
Thanks for that Kev, very informative!
I think people were put off bidding on that particular one as they were unsure of it's origins ( as I was  :))

Just goes to show that the more knowledge you gain gives you a better chance of picking up things for a good price, so thanks for sharing.

I live in hope of finding a butterfly or other Ysart weight cheaply  ;)
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand