No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Svaja glass, Lithuania  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Svaja glass, Lithuania
« on: March 13, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »
I happened across a new-to-me glassmaking name today, Svaja, who are in Lithuania and who have been in business since 1999 and am adding a link to their website. The founder is Kristina Svajone Bobs and she has a huge range!

They produce decorative and architectural glass, and have PDF catalogues available to download. Their decorative wares include vases, plates, bowls, tealight holders, animals, paperweights and more... so we may find answers to some of our mysteries in their catalogues.  www.svaja.com/downloads/Svaja-Dream-Brochure-Download.pdf

Their architectural glass is also worth looking at just for the enjoyment of it!  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Svaja glass, Lithuania
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:39:36 PM »
I think we have to be careful about attributions to Svaja http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59472.0.html
because I think it's more of a brand than a maunfacturer

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Svaja glass, Lithuania
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
I think I agree.

I have seen Svaja for sale in places as diverse as the Alesandro Art Gallery in Dundee, but also in general furniture or sofa warehouses, (on the coffee tables in DFS, for example) cheap household goods warehouses sorts of places. Not quite as low key as poundstretcher, but getting there.
I think they may be an importer, something along the lines of LSA.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:50:50 PM »
The founder does state its a brand. From what I read in her bio the founder organized local studios & local talent to produce glass so strictly as a definition of a manufacturer no...the studios she evidently has under her wing are the manufacturers that sell their products under her brand. Have to hand it to her thought as she seems meet the definition of an entrepreneur so good for her.
  http://www.svaja.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=62

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
Being an entreprenuer is something somebody either can or can't be, it's nothing of individual merit, and nothing to be praised.
So she's made herself a.n. other middle man, and is making a living - but on the backs of others work and talent, not her own.
Just my opinion, like. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
I was slightly surprised to see the comments in Glass (now merged into here for completeness) as my post was  based on the premise that Svaja appeared to be a design and manufacturing outfit, not just a reseller brand...  I read this page http://www.svaja.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=3 - the paragraph, "From Svaja’s beginnings in 1999, Kristina has driven her company forward with a proven flare for designing glass, weaves and linens that are celebrated across the world" and on the about Kristina page http://www.svaja.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=62 she also says "and so I decided to start producing beautiful handmade glass articles" which again doesn't sound like just a reseller... Have we evidence elsewhere that can confirm either way?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 01:51:59 AM »
One of the websites - or blogs - (Yestrans) that provide brief info about Kristina S Bobs, states:
... Svaja. Her glass and linen design business supplies luxury hotels, company headquarters and boutiques around the world.
So yes, she is an entrepreneur and the Svaja company is a design and supply business, i.e. a brand.

From the range of glass products - smallish paperweights through to architectural glass installations, it seems unlikely that the Svaja company has direct involvement in the actual production of items. Browsing their catalogue of glass items (which takes forever on my pc to scroll through!) shows that the products follow designs that are generically similar to other companies' products, probably from the past 20 years or so. But they are of a quality that far outshines many others. And the architectural glass designs really are stunning.

What I cannot find on the web is any information to state whether or not the actual production companies, which obviously employ very skilled workers, are part of a Svaja group or are simply individual enterprises.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand