No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Monart Glass Vase - Shape & Colour Code Sort Please  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Large Monart Glass Vase - Shape & Colour Code Sort Please
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »
Hi All,

Looking for further clarification on the shape and colour codes for rather large Monart vase with aventurine inclusions.

From looking through Scotland's Glass, the nearest shape match appears to be RA, however, the largest RA example, size V, is shown at 23cm. The height of this example is a whopping 27cm! - The width across the middle measures 23cm and the weight is exactly 3kg! - Would this be just a very large example of shape RA or even a RA variant?

If someone could also kindly point me in the direction of the correct colour code it would be much appreciated. The last picture is probably the most accurate reflection of its true colour, the other pictures have been taken in the window with the natural light behind and do look rather splendid!

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Large Monart Glass Vase - Shape & Colour Code Sort Please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
Definitely Monart shape code RA, not a variant just a large size.
The colour code is more problematic, as no complete record of Monart colour codes (over 500 colour codes) has survived in the public domain. 
What colours are in your vase it is not so easy to define them from the photos.
Gary

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 04:13:50 PM »
Hi Gary,

Thank you for the shape confirmation. I appreciate the colour may be harder to pin down if at all. I have attached a handful of additional photos I took the other day, hopefully they may help a little.

The vase is predominately a golden amber, with golden speckling fading to clear towards the bottom of the vase, with gold aventurine inclusions throughout.

Many thanks,
Greg

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
The only way to definitely put a colour code on your vase, is if a complete Monart labeled piece comes to light with the same colouring as your one.
Does your vase colouring resemble the main colour of the vase below.
 Gary

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »
Thanks for the image Gary.  My vase does seem to resemble the main colouring of your pictured vase, obviously without the green. Hope this helps narrow things a little.

Greg

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 11:05:19 PM »
Hi,
No idea of the code but I think it my be the same colour scheme as this one - it's amber with lots of gold aventurine throughout (mine also has quite a few bubbles) - it seems to glow quite bright yellow under certain light (and sometimes a greenish yellow) and is quite difficult to capture the correct colour on camera - it looks a more brownish yellow under normal light (if that makes sense) - I can't remember exactly but i think it's a certain chemical in the glass that makes it do this  - Sue if you are there do you know which one?

(not the best photo - just had to take it with my phone - realised I had not catalogued this piece !! ;))
Roberta

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:24:54 PM »
Thanks for the picture of your vase Roberta. :) -  It’s a tricky one, your vase possibly looks to have more of a green hue than my vase, however this could easily been down to other factors such as different cameras, lighting conditions etc (if I was just comparing photos I’d say the colour of mine looks more like Gary’s example). However, your description does sound very much like mine.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »
yes - mines a really rubbish photo - looks more yellow/amber in real life with loads of gold aventurine that doesn't seem to show up at all!

I usually take photos of all my stuff but this one seems to have been overlooked - must have a better go at it!

Has yours got bubbles in it too?
Roberta

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »
Hi Roberta, I found mine a real tricky customer to photograph  :) Its covered in aventurine which I found really hard to capture along with the colouring. Mine does also have bubbles.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »
More photos added   - hopefully will show the detail better  :) colour still not quite right though!
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand