No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Paperweights sold at The Smithsonian Museum  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Whitefriars Paperweights sold at The Smithsonian Museum
« on: March 15, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi All,
          does anyone know anything about the paperweights that Whitefriars made for sale at The Smithsonian Museum in the USA?

I am researching this area as there doesn't seem to be any concrete information available, even from the likes of Brian Slingsby.

So far (with help from Gulsari Byrkit in the USA) we have identified 4 types.

1) In 1977 there was a BLUE rose centred bouquet plain cut and full size.

2) In 1978 there was a green ground lace twist with 6 twists, cut 6+1 and full size.

3) Also in 1978 ( maybe overlapping into 1979 or perhaps the one above did) there was a miniature pink rose centred double garland on light blue with daffodil canes.

4) In 1980 there was a green ground with scattered florettes as per the PR402 BUT cut as per a P3 or diamond cut.

I have attached some photos ( please excuse the quality )

Any information would be very welcome, especially if anyone knows of a 1979 version!

Cheers,

Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Whitefriars Paperweights sold at The Smithsonian Museum
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
Hi Tony,

All I can tell you is that I own one of these: the 1977 domed weight with a blue rose centred bouquet. It was the subject of an identification here on the GMB ( "whitefriars" posted on 31 October 2009). I tried but do not seem to be able to make a permanent link to this post. Anyway, there are good pictures of the weight there, should you wish to have a look.

I do not know of any other Smithsonian weight but Jamalpa (i.e. Roy) should have more information.

SophieB

[Mod: Link to earlier post added in text above - hope it's the right thread :) ]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »
It is the right thread, indeed.
Many thanks to the moderator  :-*

SophieB

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:04:59 PM »
Hi Sophie B,
                     many thanks for the thread link. Given all the knowledge of the likes of Roy Brown, Dave Webber, and Brian Slingsby, little had been written about special editions for the Smithsonian. It is interesting to now know that there are at least 4 Smithsonian paperweights in the Whiefriars range. More to find and collect!!!

Cheers,

Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Millefiori

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Whitefriars paperweights
    • Usa
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:13:10 PM »
Thanks for mentioning my name. I am still looking for more..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand