No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Castle Crystal Catalogue - Wine services  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Castle Crystal Catalogue - Wine services
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
I recently bought a copy of a catalogue from the Castle Crystal Company based in Hull in 1920/30' ..it contains trinket sets which I have copied and given to Anne to put up on her website, but also Wine services so I am posting them here if anyone is interested... I was surprised to learn that small jars with ground lids, of which I have quite a collection and are often called pickle jars, are in this catalogues called Cherry Bottles and used in a cocktail set for storing the cherries...well you learn something new everyday....will take a couple of pages to post them all....

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Re: Castle Crystal Catalogue - Wine services
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:31:30 PM »
more pages from Castle Crystal catalogue....

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »
Catalogue front pages..... Hope these will be of help to someone  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »
Lovely, thank you Angela.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 07:38:04 PM »
very interesting, thanks Angela.............  take it you've decided not to include the trinket set pages here ?

would agree that the cherry bottles have the appearance of 'pickles' - but I don't see any quoted sizes  -  perhaps they were smaller than those we normally call pickles.                 Incidentally, do you have any coloured pickles  -  they seem to be 99.9% clear wherever I go  -  I've only ever once found a pair in uranium, but believe there are some bluey/green ones from the Regency period.

Presumably wholesalers/agents only  -  I like the Ruskin quote. :)

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
Thanks Paul...it's no problem I will put up the trinket sets if anyone is interested...I only have clear 'pickle' jars too I haven't seen any coloured ones...mine come in a variety of sizes and most with 'cut' or etched pattern similar to wine glasses which makes me think they could be Cherry Bottles..also they  always seems a curiously awkward vessel for serving pickles, as you would need a spoon to extract it, and a shallow dish is more suitable or a lidded pot with a cut out piece for a spoon to rest....I like the Ruskin quote too  :)
Some of my Pickle/ cherry bottles....

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:24:39 PM »
Strangely just found a uranium one on ebay but from the size 8.5" it would appear to be a cocktail shaker !! ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:54:10 PM »
I've not looked at ebay, but from memory seem to recall that shakers have twin opposed pouring lips, and are much taller than pickles.        I think that the height you quote discounts the ebay item being a pickle.

Am I not right in thinking that there is a sort of Neptune's trident shaped thingy with three tines, and with little barbs on the outer two - for stabbing pickles - I have several, as I also collect a lot of EPNS flatware.     I'd always thought these longish fork things were for pricking pickles  -  I'll post a pic of one tomorrow after lunch  -  but perhaps I'm wrong.
Mind you with the size of openings on pickles you'd certainly get a spoon into the jar, but I find the pickles tend to roll around and avoid the spoon. ;)

Ruskin was an odd ball to say the least, have you ever tried 'The Stones of Venice'? - hard going I thought.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 11:05:38 PM »
I'm busily pondering the pages that Angela emailed to me (thanks again for them Angela!) and trying to determine if Wright & Pouncy were manufacturers or wholesalers / importers...   that will determine how to add the info to the GTS website. I don't want to add it as an English maker if they subsequently turn out to be an importer for makers elsewhere, as trying to correct the info afterwards just causes headaches when all the sellers who use the info on eBay perpetuate the misinformation... 

Do we know anything at all about Wright and Pouncy other than what is written on the catalogue page?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 11:24:40 PM »
I've just found entries for the company in the PO Directories for Glasgow dated between 1926-28:
West George street. 37 . Wright & Pouncy The Denholm Manufacturing Co., Ltd who are listed as clock manufacturers and importers

and an undated entry also in the PO Directory for Glasgow:
The Post-Office Annual Glasgow Directory
The Denholm Manufacturing Co., Ltd., clock manufacturers and importers, Morrison court, 108
Argyle St., C.2

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand