No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano, but what is the name of this pattern  (Read 2416 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Murano, but what is the name of this pattern
« on: March 22, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
Hi all,

I know I've been told before, but going through my posts, I haven't found the answer, so I'll ask again.

These are two examples of a (I seem to recall 1950's) Murano style, that was also copied in China.

I know there is a specific name for the style, someone told me years ago what it is, but as I said, I can't find it. I've looked on Alan Thornton's page, as well as Verre de Arte and don't find examples.

I've seen lots of them, both in red and blue, and in fact the owl seems to have a red body, but blue head. I describe it as looking like a golden aventurine fishnet.

So here is an egg, and an owl, since I'm looking for the name, I'm posting them together.

Thanks for any, and all the help folks can give.

Bob
Bob Kegeles

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Murano, but what is the name of this pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:11:20 PM »
I think you may do better with this query on the Murano forum so I'll move it over for you, Bob.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
Thanks Anne, I've been debating re-posting it to the Murano page. Since I was going to have to re-shrink the photos, (I delete once I post), I was too lazy to do it.

Funny thing, I have a strong memory that when I asked this a few years ago, someone knew the answer instantly, and it felt (to me) like it was a "everyone knows this" answer. LOL.

I guess not, and I was just lucky enough then, that the one person who knew saw it and answered.

I've even paged through Google and Bing Images, and of course there are some shown, but no one mentions the name of the design.

It doesn't matter, but it's one of those things that just bug me, not knowing something, I once knew.

Bob Kegeles

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
The Owl is similar to the Owls Adam Aaronson made  in conjunction with Ray Annenberg .
only recently in the last few years tho . Bob have you had the Owl a long time ?

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »
Yes, this is similar to the ones Ray made in my studio, but it doesn't look like one of those to me.

We call this the "controlled bubble" technique. It has been used all over the world for many years.

In basic terms, one can introduce a bubble into a piece by making a small indentation into the gather. By gathering over this, air is trapped in the indentation and because of the viscosity of the glass, the air cannot escape and this creates a bubble.

So in order to get a controlled pattern of bubbles an open mould which has diamond shapes evenly spaced on the inside is used. By gently pressing the glass into the mould, a pattern of even indentations is created. Some people call this a pineapple mould, because the glass comes out of the mould looking like a pineapple. When cooled to the correct temperature, it is possible to gather over this shape and trap bubbles in a controlled manner.

This is a simplistic explanation. It sounds a lot easier than it really is. Temperature judgment is only one of the skills required to achieve a successful result.

I hope this helps.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »
Thanks Adam it does look very much like those made at your studio , do you think Ray may have made this  elsewhere , I have only looked closely at Rays Whitefriars Owls not his later ones . a great explanation of technique , Thanks again Adam .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand