No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black purple Mdina vase help please.  (Read 2980 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Black purple Mdina vase help please.
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
Any thoughts to an age on this one, it's almost black with a matt finish, with sun shining through it you can just see some purple mottling.

7 1/2 inches in height, 3 3/8th inches across the rim.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Black purple Mdina vase help please.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
A shot of the paper label.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
I think they started acid surface treatment in '86, I would suspect this might be from around then.

This black/deep purple mottled background was normally used in a very attractive design with a painterly, loopy ribbon of shiny silver chloride effects (silver/blue/yellow) in a garland around the background, rather than being acid treated. It's not the most common of designs to find and it's not a Harris design, I don't know whose it is, they're very attractive. It is found with both paper and plastic labels, so that takes it into the '90s.
I've not seen one of these before, acid treated and without the silvery ribbons. You may have something a bit experimental there.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »
Going to keep this one ,i have a soft spot for Mdina glass i could collect every piece, even the sea horses, i like the simple design and shape on this one.

Thanks Sue.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
I recently discovered an art gallery in Perth which seems to be collecting the seahorses.  ;D
When I first went in, they had two really battered old ones, in use, on the main desk. They didn't know what they were, but said that loads of customers asked to buy them. I told them what they were, and I've been back. They now have 5 seahorses in use.
I find it quite exciting, watching somebody new to Mdina first seeing it.  8)
I just gave a straight-sided Chalice to my nephew-in-law - and was able to see it with new eyes again too, through him. He was stunned and enchanted. He knew nothing of art glass, or anything retro, but has a background in antiques and understands quality. I might have another convert. ;)

It can be too easy to get a bit jaded sometimes. :)

I'll get some images of my few bits of this deep-purple-splodgy-black background stuff with the silver stuff on shortly.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »
What are your thoughts on this one Sue,?  i can not find another in this colourway.

7 1/2 inches in height.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
This is earlier, I believe. (than the purple/black design). Early-mid '70s.
There are a few bits like this around, always in early shapes. I suspect it's a variation of "Tortoiseshell" when they were running out of silver nitrate - so they didn't use too much of it and ended up with red streaky design, rather than brown with some remaining reds.  ;D
I've got a big wide cylinder vase in this red streaky with a little bit of brown pattern, a textured bottle of uncommon dimensions, (suspected early experimental shape) and a couple of little stoppered bottles.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »
Thank you Sue.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »
Another feature which might indicate an earlier cylinder is having a smaller round "foot" part on which it stands (as your one does), rather than the base just being the bottom part of the cylinder.

Although your later black/purple also has this.

It is pure speculation on my part that they might have been running out of silver nitrate - they might just have been ecomomising on it, or simply experimenting. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Bought this today, and  was wondering if sue was correct in thinking that mdina ran out of supplies from time to time.
There is a very small streak of something running vertically in the first image, is this artistic input or shortage of materials.
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand