No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge, 14 inch Webbs flair range controlled bubble 'beak' vase .  (Read 988 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thought I would show this vase . It's 14 inches tall and is next to a standard 8 inch Whitefriars 9556 vase (for scale  :o ).

It's marked Webbs England to the base and has two types of amber colour . At the top a bright  'golden' amber and to the base, a core of a much darker orange type of  amber . I guess it's a David Hammond design from the 1960's and part of the flair range. Ta, Mike
Mike

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Huge, 14 inch Webbs flair range controlled bubble 'beak' vase .
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »
Phew, what a whopper! These are conventionally 12in (30cm) tall. Difficult to tell how 'amber/orange' it is, but it looks about right to me -  it would be best to compare it against the usual colour Webb used to be sure.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
As David said 'a whopper' mine is only 9 inches, :o the colour is similar to this one.... ;D

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Sometimes the base colour looks orange and at other times it looks more amber/orange and looks lighter in colour to yours Keith (it probably is the same colour as yours though) but the acid etched mark to the base is spot on  ;) Ta, Mike

P.s. Just thought that the amber colour might be the same top and bottom ...the top being a very thin coating  ???
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »
I think it is all one of the same colour a' golden' amber (no UV reaction) , I don't wish to make any uninformed comments here. The top colour being a thin gather of the base colour. Here is a photo, against bright sunlight, with the signature.

Sorry for the confusion...............
Mike

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
Compared with my amber beak vase, I'd say it was pretty much spot on but, as you say, when the colour is spread thinner it can look brighter.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:29:25 PM »
Thanks David,

That's very good to know , I'm still towards the bottom of a very long learning curve !  ::)
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand