No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dump weight/frigger  (Read 3061 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Dump weight/frigger
« on: April 01, 2015, 01:22:33 PM »
Pushed the button on this one because it intrigued me,no one else however!? ::),it has a lot of wear to the base and light surface scratches hinting it may have been around a while,it rests on it's very rough pontil with chicken of the wood type mushrooms or trumpet flowers coming out of a mist of chippings not bubbles,any thoughts on this one,many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Dump weight/frigger
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
Should add it's about 3" tall

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
It's not a dump or a frigger - both overused and abused terms. It's an ice pick flower weight and almost certainly a production item. Where from, I don't know though, perhaps Bohemia or Germany

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 02:26:18 PM »
Thanks Christine,nice to clear that up,looking at the base under high magnification there's a lot of dirt in the wear.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »
Not chicken of the wood,horn of plenty!!!i should know that I've picked enough of them,delicious with fish.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
Just before this post slips of into the ether does anyone have a hunch about it's age,cheers.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »
 Sorry,the other thing I wanted to ask was about the glitter effect especially on the green colours,was this something used by everyone.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
Hi Bat20,

I think the glitter effect in your weight is aventurine. It is included in many glass objects because of its shimmer... Gold aventurine is more often used, but aventurine exists in all the colours of the rainbow. Here you have green aventurine.

Although it is commonly used by glass artists, aventurine is very frequently used by Murano glass-makers and its inclusion is seen a Murano glass-making trait (see the image of a 3Fiori weight below). Having said that your weight does not strike me as Murano (but as I have said it is resorted to by many glass artists).

SophieB 

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »
Thanks Sophie,you read my mind I think,I was just thinking along the lines of if it is fairly old who was using adventurine at the time.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »
Aventurine has been used for a very long time. You will find it in antique Venetian perfume bottles, for instance.

The fact that it is green (rather than gold) aventurine may help as I believe 'coloured' aventurine to be more recent (last quarter of 20th century?). But someone with glass experience will know better.

In any event your weight does not strike me as particularly old (but I may be wrong about that...) :).

SophieB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand