No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby cut to amber vase - maker?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline wennap

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Ruby cut to amber vase - maker?
« on: April 03, 2015, 05:00:08 PM »
This is another beautiful vase that I would like to identify.  I think it is clearly Bohemian, but who made it? I love the lines of it - the simple wheat motif (suggesting Amber waves of grain to me) and the shape of the vase itself.  I have followed many leads as to maker but have come up empty handed so far.  Any ideas?  Thanks for looking!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Ruby cut to amber vase - maker?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:46 PM »
Hi wennap, welcome to the Board.

What is it about the vase that makes you think Bohemian? And is it really "cut to amber"? Is there an obvious amber layer beneath the purple? Maybe the "amber" in the cuts is actually gold leaf?

I wonder if this could be a British item.

Also, could you please give the sizes - height and width at widest point. And it could be useful to show a photo of the rim at an angle to see the how the edge of the rim is actually worked. And another photo showing how the base is finished.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wennap

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Re: Ruby cut to amber vase - maker?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:33:48 PM »
Here is a link to better photos:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/150426-ruby-cut-to-amber-vase--is-it-bohemian?in=442
I didn't get feedback here unfortunately (except for some loves).  This is definitely amber glass overlaid with ruby.  That being said I am no expert, just trying to research this.  I did post to a facebook group also.  They suggested Bohemian; given the motif they thought it might be '1960s-'70s in origin.  Thanks for your input!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand