No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this be Monart or Nazeing or something else?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Could this be Monart or Nazeing or something else?
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:59:28 PM »
Hi,

I,ve just bought this at auction and I'm wondering who might have made it.

I thought it might be Nazeing, but I can't find anything like the style, but it does look like Monart HL, but knowing me its something very different!! The pontil is very nicely ground, but has a lovely crack across it, which looks like a firing fault rather than a knock.

http://i6.tinypic.com/14l2dzs.jpg

http://i6.tinypic.com/14l2gic.jpg

Many thanks

Barbara

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »
Certainly not Monart, I don't think Nazeing but could be wrong. Caithness might be an option but that is more a guess than anything.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 05:14:26 PM »
defo not Caithness, did SW make something like this?
cheers Ray

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 05:30:15 PM »
Hi,

It has a white inside and is very bubbly and streaky.

http://i5.tinypic.com/14lk952.jpg

Whitefriars also made the same sort of thing, (I didn't think it really was Monart but you never know :D ) but I didn't know S&W did.

Barbara

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 07:58:23 PM »
See the contribution by Nigel Benson below.

Barbara — It looks to me as if it could have the same origin as a similarly shaped and pontil-finished green vase I have had in stock for some time.   This is a perfect match on weight, shape, and pontil-finish to a S&W threaded vase that another dealer has in stock.  My vase is certainly not Nazeing, pre- or post-war.

Roger Dodsworth is not keen on a S&W attribution for mine, but accepts this as a possibility.   He suggested unsigned Gray-Stan as a possibility.

I don't think you can count any possibility out, except Nazeing.   Of course, one possibility is a range by a glassworks not previously known for this style of glass.

I still prefer S&W, based on my own comparison of the two vases.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 08:15:38 PM »
Gray Stan is a distinct possibility Bernard.

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 06:45:20 AM »
Hi Bernard & Frank,

I have never seen or held any Gray Stan so I am afriad that I have nothing to compare it to. I bought it mainly because it looked interesting, and I had not seen anything like it before.

Its just a shame its got a crack across the base, may it be a "second" and thats why it wasn't signed?

Barbara

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 07:58:51 AM »
Quote from: "BJB"
... Its just a shame its got a crack across the base, may it be a "second" and thats why it wasn't signed?

Very unlikely, Barbara.   I don't know of any glassworks that would not have scrapped cracked glass.

Quote from: "Roger Dodsworth in [i
BGbtW[/i] on Gray-Stan"]... Production began in early 1926 with between twelve and fourteen employees. This was to rise to over thirty at the height of the factory's success. ...

There is just not enough signed Gray-Stan on the market to match this size of glassworks.   Like you, Barbara, I rarely see examples, and I go to almost all the British glass fairs.    I see perhaps ten times as much Monart as I do Gray-Stan.   Some of this shortfall can be accounted for by the firm's production of repro old glass, but they were not alone, as Walsh and presumably other glassworks were also established in this field.   So, I believe it is reasonable to conclude that some of these unsigned mysteries are Gray-Stan.

That's an awful long way away from saying that your and my vases are Gray-Stan without further evidence.   It's just a possibility, but S&W and Gray-Stan must be amongst the front runners in the attribution stakes.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 08:50:52 AM »
Grey stan http://www.ysartglass.com/Otherglass/Graystan.htm

One day I will add better illustrations.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 10:46:32 PM »
Hello Barbara,

100% Nazeing from the 1930's. I refer to it as 'Mottled' - in this case Mottled Pink and White. They also produced mottled blue and white, but to date I haven't found any other combination. I would not rule out other combinations though :)

I have an identically shaped vase in another colour way sitting on the mantle shelf that I'm looking at whilst typing. That one is a deep pink with white, but with the colour laid in in the basic way.

It may have a simple shape Bernard, but this really is not the same as the green vase you have "had in stock for some time". Yours is heavier, with a thick casing, the green is laid in differently and it has a perfectly round, centred and polished pontil - not Gray-Stan (or as you say Nazeing) characteristics. (NOTE: Nazeing do however do a very thick casing that makes any item made that way overly heavy - there was an example in the exhibition at Lowewood.) Whilst the shape might be similar, it has not so far been recorded in any known colourway by Gray-stan (or Nazeing).

Just checked Geoff's book - see the footed bowl at the back of plate 35 on page 51. The 1930's label that is illustrated on page 47 is from a bell vase that I own in the same mottled pink and white - look around the label and you'll see the colour.

Nigel

PS. Sorry ended up editing several times just after posting - usually I do this before posting to avoid mistakes :oops:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand