No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this be Monart or Nazeing or something else?  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Could this be Monart or Nazeing or something else?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 06:18:15 AM »
Thanks, Nigel.   It was good of you to put me right.   Hmmm.   Always learning!    I've not edited my words to show other readers not only how difficult attributions can be, but also how easy it is to get it wrong.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 11:20:38 AM »
Hi Nigel & Bernard,

Thankyou for all your help, I really didn't think it was Nazeing as it seems to be of better quality than some of the other glass I have had.

The glass is thiner than the norm, and the bubbles and the colour are better :D

Many thanks, Barbara

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 12:08:45 PM »
Hello Barbara,

Your comments about the quality of this piece exemplifies what I have been trying to communicate to you about Nazeing. So many people talk about Nazeing's poor quality, apparently without understanding the range that they produced.

This piece is, in my opinion far more typical of what they were capable of and actually produced - if you can find it :shock:  Of course it begs the question about whether it is possible to achieve the value that these items deserve.

Nigel

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 01:53:29 PM »
Hi Nigel,

Yes I now do understand what you mean about Nazeing, it does make it hard though when they produced such wide ranges of quality.

The large mushroom dish I had, which the Nazeing museum bought, was the more typical colour and bubble style, and not such fine glass, that I personally associate Nazeing producing.

I am hoping that in the near future when the children can be "trusted" to be left together and I can come back to a house not a war zone, to do a lot more traveling to fairs and exhibitions to learn in the flesh, so to speak, rather than from books where it is impossible to hold and feel the item.

Barbara

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Could this be Monart or Nazeing or something else?
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 10:22:17 PM »
Barbara's pics have gone, could copies be added back if you still have them please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand