No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large opaque green vase. ID = Tiffin, USA  (Read 2117 times)

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
Large opaque green vase. ID = Tiffin, USA
« on: April 04, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
7" high, 10" across the top. Opaque green with 'dirty' black streaks.

Had this for some time, can't ID it, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Large opaque green vase ID
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
Mike welcome to the board. I don't know where you are from...U.S., Europe, etc. but if its U.S. then I believe you have a Tiffin Carrara Jade #17179 low footed comport. The Carrara line was produced from the early to mid-20s, only a few years & is known for at times exhibiting black streaks which evidently was caused by a batch overheating. Carrara was produced in several colors, Coral (orange) Jade (green) Pearl Blue (pale blue) & a Lavendar (light purple) although the Lavendar  is very uncommon. Sound dumb I know, but was made to designed/produced to resemble pottery. I have seen more than a few Carrara Jade pieces that exhibit the black streaks like yours & attached is a one I had years ago.  Ken

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
Re: Large opaque green vase. ID = Tiffin, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »
Ken, thanks for clearing that up. I bought the glass at an antique fair in the UK about 20years ago, not the type of glass I normally collect but it was unusual. I didn't think American and could not find anything about it. I also found a previous post http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=48293.0 where your comments on a similar piece were very interesting.
Thanks again, Mike.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Large opaque green vase. ID = Tiffin, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 01:53:34 AM »
Mike USG/Tiffin had a large London showroom from the early 20s up until WWII so its around GB. Royal Blue satin was a big hit in England & that color in England outsold U.S production.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand