No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone identify Blue Decanter - ID = Aseda decanter by Bo Borgstrum  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Hi everyone, found this pretty blue decanter this morning at a sale and was told that it's old and European.  (Whatever that means!!! )   But I thought is was pretty and am sending it off to you experts that might be able to identify it.  The neck is interesting you can tell that it was applied.  The base is flat.  

http://i5.tinypic.com/14l6gy9.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/14l6iro.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/14l6kbb.jpg
http://i6.tinypic.com/14l6kqa.jpg

Thanks a bunch.
Nancy

Offline dagart

• Members
Can anyone identify Blue Decanter
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:06:44 PM »
Hello Nancy,
  I thinkl you decanter is special! Something I would have purchased if the chance came. I wonder if its French? Baccarat? No signatutres?
Dan

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »
Dan, I haven't found any signatures.  The very elderly woman that was selling it said that she had had it for many many years.  When I asked about "where" she bought it she said she didn't remember.  She also had a HUGE bruise on her forehead, me thinks she might of had a fall and doesn't remember anything.  Who knows.  I just thought it was something special too.  Hope we can identify it!!!!

Nancy

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Can anyone identify Blue Decanter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:15:51 PM »
Quote from: "Nancy128"
The neck is interesting you can tell that it was applied.  

Great decanter - unable to say where it originates from but the shape is so specific that you stand a fair chance to find out.

The manufacturing technique is called "half post" - this is where a small bubble is blown which is then used to gather another portion of glass. This way you can make larger hollow vessels like bottles or decanters. The neck is not applied, but is part of the original bubble. The technique was used  in Scandinavia a lot -  especially Denmark.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 08:27:27 PM »
I have the same 'appied' look on a turn-of-the-century Holmegaard decanter of mine.

My first thought with this very nice decanter was that it was possibly Scandi.

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 09:20:51 PM »
Scandi was my first thought when I saw it, but I am not an expert in this area.  Isn't Holmgaard usually signed?
Nancy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:34:54 PM »
Like all usually signed items, usually. Which of course means sometimes not and if it is not a common item it can be hard to find a signed match. I used to collect Per Lutken and never saw one unsigned - perhaps they did not always do so and introduced signing at a certain point in time.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 09:50:13 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that this was by Holmegaard. I was just pointing out in response to Ivo's post an example of Danish glass that I knew of which had the same neck.

Quite a lot of Holmegaard wasn't signed, though. (most) tableware (decanters, glasses, etc...) and all the pressed glass I've seen. Then there's the later stuff like the Gulvase, Carnaby, Palet, etc...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:22:35 AM »
:D :shock: :D

Thanks very much, Ivo, for the info. about these necks!

This kind of neck is sometimes found in Mdina, it has always, as far as I know, been described as a "dropped in neck", which I did not quite follow, but you have now made it clear! 8) :D  8)

Nancy - that iS quite some decanter - what a lovely find!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 07:29:05 AM »
This has several of the same features found on Aseda decanters particularly the neck, the rim and the pulled up bits. This is where I would start looking, Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand