No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart "Waterford?" pattern water goblets  (Read 5794 times)

Offline wurlitzer

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Stuart "Waterford?" pattern water goblets
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:55:05 PM »
I would say that the smaller glasses I have are actually a more elegant and attractive design. They are unlike a lot of Stuart stemware. This pattern coupled with their bucket shape gives a very crisp feel to them. They have a faceted stem and a more complicated base design as well which is more in keeping with the feeling of the broader design. The decanter mimics this by having an inverted shape to the glasses and a long faceted stopper. Very attractive altogether. However these wine glasses are a little too small to use for most drinks I like so the goblets become the most important.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 07:15:29 AM »
any chance of seeing a good pic of the decanter David?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wurlitzer

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
Hope it's ok. It's the best I can manage here ATM

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:38 AM »
very nice bottle - the size and height lend themselves to this particular pattern, in my opinion.

Coming back to Andy McConnell....    not sure if you are aware but he did produce a rather thick and heavy book a handful of years back, specifically on decanters........   probably one of the best glass books produced in recent years.             On the secondhand market this fetches three figures, but Neil tells us that Andy is in the process of revising and re-issuing the book, so mention this should you be interested.

Understand the reason for a new edition is to hopefully include a larger section on C20 bottles, which in the first issue was rather limited.

Offline wurlitzer

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
No I wasn't aware of the new books. Sounds exciting.  I don't know what other shapes were produced in this pattern but would love to see examples.my guess is that the other  decanter I have is from a different period or series as it's really just the same normal shape with the Waterford  design on it. I've never seen another stuart decanter in this taller shape in any pattern. I also assume that water goblets exist in this pattern which are basically larger versions of the wine glasses instead of the round goblets. Now they would be beautiful!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
[Mod: Please note that Paul's decanter shown in this post has been agreed as "not the Waterford pattern". Rather than attempt to modify what is a useful discussion, please see the new thread that Paul has created for this decanter - for which somebody may eventually be able to give a pattern name.]

unfortunately, we didn't see a picture of David's other decanter, but always possible it may have been the same as the attached example.
At least I think this one is 'Waterford'  -  there seems to be some variation in what might loosely be described as a butterfly outline  -  a large rectangle with a substantial mitred cut within each of the four segments, producing a sort of 'four wings appearance'.                 Of course, if someone knows it's some other pattern shout quickly.

The backstamp is simply the word Stuart - no England - and the final t has a Wrigley tail.             In view of the lack of staining, base wear and overall condition - combined with the type of backstamp, then I'm going to suggest the date of manufacture is around 1950 - 60.

It will no doubt go back out to the charity shop very soon, but for £2.99 I couldn't resist it.

Not sure what David meant by 'the same normal shape' - decanters vary enormously in design and shape  -  I was tempted at first to say my one was a form of bludgeon, but now not sure, and it could even be something rather obscure called a 'Taper-globe' - an Anglo-Irish form made originally c. 1800 - 1820 - a hybrid derived from the taper and shaft-and-globe.             But I'm taking a bit of a punt and could be well of course.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
The original post is listed as 26320B as shown here in Stuart's 1930's catalogue 51, I think yours Paul is missing the two downward cuts and looks more like the second pattern on a vase in an early 60's catalogue maybe  30149.

On the next page the set looks different on the foot and stem listed as 26958

The page with all the decanters is from the 1927 catalogue.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
Second page showing the rest of the set.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 06:51:29 PM »
yes, I think you're right Chris  -  'Waterford' is quite distinctive, and it's unfortunate that there are other fairly similar variations on the large mitres design which makes life confusing   -   it does appear from your pages that factory pattern Nos. 26320B, 26958, 27239 and 27586 are all 'Waterford.
I've just compared my decanter with my 'Waterford' trinket tray and there is a noticeable difference.

As you've suggested, am sure my decanter matches factory patterns 30145 and 30149 - the goblet and what I assume is a tall ale glass.

What knowledge of factory pattern names that we do have (as opposed to simply Nos.) comes from books, and unfortunately I'm not aware of having seen a name for my decanter pattern  -  haven't seen it in my few books that show material from this factory  -  so nameless for the time being.                  Stuart designs must be one of the largest in terms of different patterns.
I haven't tried the Replacements Ltd. site yet - will have a look some time  -  but there are so many different patterns shown that I run out of enthusiasm, usually.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 07:58:41 PM »
Is Waterford a documented name I have never heard of it?.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand