No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: RARE & IMPORTANT Perthshire Paperweights' Chic Young ceiling shade  (Read 3462 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
after a quiet couple of weeks in the glass front  I finally bought something else a very rare Perthshire Paperweights Chic Young ceiling shade, the funny thing is back in 2002 when I visited Chic in his house in Crieff for an interview for the Ysart Glass web site I seen this very piece in his dining room attached to a rise and fall fitting above his dining table , then yesterday I discover a piece of Perthshire  for sale on a  internet selling site for the grand sum of twenty quid, yup that's correct 20 quid so I get in touch with the seller straight away to say il take it , seller gives me address details in Crieff which is  where Perthshire Paperweights used to be made , when I get there I knew straight away I had been there before which I mention to the seller and she tells me that her house used to be owned by chic young and his partner and when chics ex partner moved out in 2006 she had left the ceiling shade in the house, because this piece was a one off made by chic for himself he just used nuts n bolts with rubber protecting the glass for the chain fixings so I shall replace these with proper ones in the near future , I have well over 100 pieces of Perthshire Paperweights vases bowls and lamps and this is the only ceiling bowl I have seen so far and I am more than happy to add it to my collection, also Kevin do you think that's the letter S in a couple of the canes or the number 5 etc , not too sure if PP used an S cane in their date letters or alphabet weight
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: YESTERDAYS RARE AND IMPORTANT PERTHSHIRE PAPERWEIGHTS GLASS PURCHASE
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »
last pic

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »
You really are the jammiest person ever!!!  :P  :-*

lovely shade to add to your lighting and PP collection.

Roberta

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
Wow!

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »
You really are the jammiest person ever!!!  :P  :-*

lovely shade to add to your lighting and PP collection.

yup just pure luck , I had forgotten all about this piece as it was 13 years ago since I first and last seen it and with it being in chics own house I would never have dreamed I would end up with it, even when I came across the sellers advert I didn't recognise It as the pictures were very grey and the angles meant I couldn't see the chains properly I just knew I was having a deja vu moment once I arrived at the sellers address and then when I asked and  she confirmed it was chics old house I remembered about the ceiling bowl attached to the rise and fall light fitting in the dining room and knew it was that one , it made my day and a bargain for 20 quid, also came away with a paperweight door handle aswell ,

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »
I reckon your use of capitals to shout this out is completely justified. 8)

It would look marvellous in my loo.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 04:14:48 PM »
Yes Gary it seems the harder you work at finding pieces, then the luckier you get
 ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 06:54:29 PM »
Gary - Nice find!

... Kevin do you think that's the letter S in a couple of the canes or the number 5 etc , not too sure if PP used an S cane in their date letters or alphabet weight

Yes it's a letter "S", and yes Perthshire Paperweights used an "S" cane in some of the designs for 1987. They probably made a variety of those complex "date canes" and I guess they could differ in the use of canes for the outer surround. Certainly, in the main book on Perthshire Paperweights, the example "S" cane shown has different outer canes than the one in the shade.

Of course, even with a date cane, that may not be the actual year that Chic Young made the shade.
KevinH

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 07:19:09 AM »
Yes Gary it seems the harder you work at finding pieces, then the luckier you get
 ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
lol dunno about the harder I work part keith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand