No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fairy Lamp - Blumberg Rd 44546 - 1886  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Fairy Lamp - Blumberg Rd 44546 - 1886
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »
Well found Fred, that adds a good deal more to the story of what was probably a significant business of the time.  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
    • http://www.fairylampclub.com
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »
Interesting article.  I will have to see where Blumberg was in relation to Clarke's showrooms.  I found an interesting apology from Blumberg to Clarke for selling the Blumberg lamp as one of Clarke,s. Ill try to post it as it shows how paranoid Clarke's competitors were of infringing on this patents and trademarks.

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
Thank you Fred.

Following is an interesting "apology" from a shop owner who sold a Blumberg lamp as a Clarke fairy lamp. 

http://www.fairy-lamp.com/Fairylamp/Apology_Blumberg_Lamp.pdf

In the apology, she makes reference to a Clarke registration number that I was not aware of.  It may be a mistake but I am trying to find out what it is.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »
Jim, the number is a trademark ref not a design registration number - see here for details:
https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00000044537?legacySearch=False

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 01:08:45 AM »
Now I have a wee bit more time I can explain that the item I found and could not post publicly for copyright reasons was an official notice of the company from the Pall Mall Gazette archives. The following facts have been extracted from the notice:

The company was formed as a partnership in 1828 as Berens, Blumberg & Co. It later became Blumberg and Company, still a partnership. Three addresses given were: 2 Cannon Street, St Paul's EC;  16 Old Change, EC;  64 Rue de Bondy, Paris.

The business was exclusively wholesale, with c. 10,000 customers worldwide, and described themselves as manufacturers and importers. It was said to be an extremely sound and profitable concern with the percentage of profits described as "unusually good."

The Pall Mall Gazette notice was dated 26 July 1883 and advertised both that the business would become a company (i.e. limited) and that a share issue would raise new capital for the business;  an action necessary after monies had been withdrawn from the business on the deaths of various partners and the retirements of others from the business.

Two Blumberg's were to have a place on the board of directors once the company was established: Charles Nathaniel Blumberg and Victor Ludwig Alexander Blumberg, both of whom were part of the pre-limited company business management. The other three directors were the following fellow businessmen:
Joseph C Wakefield, Esq., (Messrs Inglis and Wakefield), London, Manchester & Glasgow.  [Chairman]
Frederick T Issitt, Esq., (Messrs J & C Boyd and Co.), London EC.
Robert Spence Esq., (Messrs Baggallay's and Spence), London EC.

It's sad to note that just three years later, in 1886 the limited company was subject to a winding up petition instigated by a creditor, and that the company was finally struck off the Register in 1892 (both reference the London Gazette). Obviously something had gone badly wrong in those three years since becoming a limited company.

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 01:42:45 AM »
Anne, you are too kind and so generous with your time and talents.  I am gratefully in your debt.

Thank you so much
Jim from snowy Colorado.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 07:41:49 PM »
don't know if this one was followed through, but haven't seen any further information or images posted so perhaps not.
The following comes from The National Archives book of Designs ref. BT 45/26/5194 - which as indicated by Anne, is not one of the usual Board of Trade Registrations.
Typically, British Board of Trade Rd. Nos. are represented by an image in one book, with details of the Registrant in another, and generally these are non-functional items that are decorative and lack complexity, or have very simplistic and very obvious function.
Items such as this Blumberg Night Light require some explanation due to their intended mechanical function, so seem to end up in a separate book which I think was categorized as useful designs.

The text is a beautiful copper plate hand, but probably illegible on the screen, so have transcribed as below:

""The purpose of utility to which the shape or configuration of this design has reference, is that a night light may be placed with facility upon any description of candlestick, and that if desired it may be protected by a glass and be carried about without any inconvenience.
Description.
The drawing exhibits five views of the design drawn full size  -  Figure 1 being an elevation - Figure 2 a section through a line CD   -  Figure 3 a plan.
Figure IV an inverted plan, and Figure V the design fitted with a glass globe.
A indicates a cup formed by the rim a and plate C to receive the night light, whether a child's night light floating in water or simply oil and a wick  -  B tube fitting into a candlestick of any description- the socket of which exceeds in diameter that of the tube B and does not that of the plate C.
D flange to support a globe or glass of any shape.
The design may be made of metal, porcelain, glass or any suitable material .                   If of metal, the inside of the cup A may be coated with porcelain or glass or be fitted with a cup of analogous material.              The part B may be a hollow cylinder or a solid item.               The whole of the design is new and original as regards the shape and configuration thereof.""

Obviously not the sort of decorative collectible night light that we're accustomed to seeing - possibly, even, not collectible in any sense, but hopefully will take the worry out of the collectors nightmares, who might be thinking they're missing something very desirable ;)

As always some loss of clarity due to the watermarking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand