No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Robinson & Bolton of Warrington Glass Sardine lidded dish 18th October 1867  (Read 1661 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
I thought I would post this item for future reference as its most likely quite rare. Its a lidded sardine dish registered to Barens Blumberg & Co of London 13th October 1851. The base does have the date lozenge .

There is another topic posted at present regarding a Blumberg night light. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59805.msg337750.html#msg337750

The dish measures 7.5" in length and 2.5" in height and weighs 1082gm

Having read the other post the sardine dish does have a French feel , I wonder if it could have been made in France.

Roy 

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Thank you for showing this delightful (and undoubtedly rare) piece, Roy, though I think you may have a typo in the registration date for the design.

I can’t find a Berens, Blumberg & Co. design registration for 13 October 1851 (or any other glass design registration for that matter), but Jenny Thompson (page 95 of ‘The identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908) shows that on 31 October 1851 – Parcel 4 Berens, Blumberg & Co. of St. Paul’s Churchyard, London registered design number 81217 in Class 3: glass.

This is confirmed by The National Archives online Design Registration summary at
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=registered+design+81217
where the design description is for a ‘Paper Weight’ [?].

Fred

Offline Paul S.

• Members
having looked thru the Kew register for October 1851, it does appear that Fred is correct in suggesting that there is just the one Registration that month for Barens Blumberg, which is a p/w  -  and looks to be a paper backed example, showing a coloured picture of The Crystal Palace.         This was allocated Rd. No. 81217 and is 31st October, as mentioned by Fred.            Let me know if anyone wants to see this image.
I could be very wrong, but this sardine dish looks untypical of other pressed items from the earlier part of the first period.

During the first lozenge period, the day date  -  unlike the year and month  -  is not coded in the form of a letter or number  -  so you'd imagine quite straight forward to read from the diamond, unless of course worn or poorly stamped etc.

Roy - are you able to post a clear picture of the lozenge?

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Hi Fred and Paul

Fred you were correct it was a typo mistake and should have been 31.

The item was listed as Barens 1851 when I bought it and my first thought was that it did not have the look of a piece for 1851. The date lozenge was not that easy to read but sort of fitted  and I did not really check 100%. I tried to take a picture of lozenge but with flash it was to faint. I tried again tonight and after about 40 pictures got the best picture of the lozenge I could.

Now looking at a close up of the lozenge it would appear to be first cycle, the date letter now looks to be a T for 1867, the month letter being least clear but I think is a B, the parcel number on bottom is a 4, while the day looks like 81 which turned around would 18 .

Put all together you get Robinson and Bolton of Warrington Lancashire and a date of 18th October 1867 and Paul you may be able to check this out

Thanks Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
spot on Roy  -  although the company name would appear to be Peter Robinson & Bolton - and there seems to be some design difference between the real thing and the drawing submitted to the Board of Trade.       The drawing omits the actual sardine, and shows just the word.

will attach a copy of the drawing after watermarking and re-sizing, and you will then understand my comments.

p.s.    Copy of original drawing now attached.

p.p.s    just had a look at my copy of the actual Register page, and these details all check out.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Thanks Paul for adding the picture of the design which is quite different from the real item, which would make this a sixth design by Robinson and Bolton.
All we need now is a Mod to come by please and change the heading to Robinson & Bolton of Warrington Glass Sardine lidded dish 18th October 1867.

Thanks Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Thank you, Roy and Paul.

A timely reminder to never take a seller's description for granted.

Excellent detective work, with the design representation from TNA as definitive confirmation.

Certainly a very rare piece (especially with the sardine figural lid still intact) - I know of no other photos of pieces from this design.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand