Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > China & Taiwan

Question about Plum Blossom vases

(1/1)

Anne Tique:
I'm sorry for asking...I know this topic has been discussed before...
Would anybody be able to tell me how these vases are finished re pontil please?

I came across a few at a stall on a market last Sunday, and they had rough, snapped off pontils...

Is this typical for these vases?

Thank you.

Anne:
The ones I have seen have been just that, rough and snapped off. 

Anne Tique:
Thank you Anne, for confirming that.

It was just that particular experience that made me wonder...

After I politely asked the seller if I could have a look at them, he told me they were Murano. I wasn't planning on buying them, but after having read about them over here, and never actually handled one, i was just curious...

So I asked him if he was sure they were Murano and not Chinese? Well, to make a long story short, he got very angry with me because of my question, he shouted at me that the Chinese vases have a smooth pontil, and basically... he told me I know nothing... all very well, I replied, but after talking to me like that, I know what you can do with your vases...

So thank you Anne, my intuition was right..

Anne:
My Mother always insisted her two Plum Blossom ones were Murano too, as she was told that by my great-uncle who gave them to her, and as he'd been to Italy on holiday, how could they not be Italian?  ::)   They were just like the orange ones shown on the Glass Museum page here: http://www.theglassmuseum.com/Chinese.html  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version