No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone know the design number for this Sowerby sweet dish?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Does anyone know the design number for this Sowerby sweet dish?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »
Nick, I am very sorry you are unhappy with your Sowerby CD. As Paul kindly mentioned, I did indeed explain the difficulties that Stephen and I encountered during the creation of the ebooks on Sowerby. We do explain on Vol I why the bottom of some catalogue pages are missing. Here is what we wrote in Vol I: "the master copy was over-size and thus the bottom of some of these pattern sheets had been cropped slightly and cannot be shown here. Occasionally the lower part of a shape at the very bottom of the page is not visible and in some cases the pattern number is missing. In all but one or two cases, however, the matching pattern is shown elsewhere on the same page, so the pattern number can be obtained."

I am sure you can imagine just what a huge "labour of love" creating those CDs was for us. We did them just over a decade ago, and we took several years over their actual production. The software available at the time was not as smart or easy as it is today. We were fully aware of the tiny amounts missing at the bottom of some of the pattern sheets. However, we felt that other collectors would probably be of the same mind as us ... and would prefer to have 99% of the page rather than none at all. We were just happy to have the larger part of the pages to share, and as we noted, in most cases it is possible to match up missing pattern numbers elsewhere on the pages.

Our aim was to share the information. We wanted to put the Sowerby catalogues "out there" in a format most people could read easily. We also wanted to add as much extra information on the CDs as possible - hence the wealth of photos and everything else you can find on all three volumes. I'm pleased to say that many, many people all over the world have enjoyed them, and have appreciated what we tried to do. Had we been aware of your dis-satisfaction earlier we would have been happy for you to have returned the CD to us right away, for a full refund.

I've looked at your specific piece and I agree, the pattern number is almost certainly 2215.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
Re: Does anyone know the design number for this Sowerby sweet dish?
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »
Hi Glen,
I'm sorry you got the impression that I am dissatisfied with my discs, quite the contrary, in fact I'm delighted with them. So far I have managed to identify two rare items in my collection which I wouldn't have managed without them. I'm more than happy with my purchase and  I'd happily recommend them to anyone wanting further information on Sowerby glass. I'm afraid I didn't read the small print and just dived in to the catalogue pictures so wasn't aware of the scanning difficulties, but the lower page loss is really a minor issue, given the overall exellence of the discs . Thanks for confirming number 2215. I can assure you that all your hard work is appreciated.
Kind Regards
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand