No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed Glass Centrepiece ID help Sowerby or Czech?  (Read 6747 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Pressed Glass Centrepiece ID help Sowerby or Czech?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 05:48:20 AM »
Hi everyone.   Glen's assessment of my knowledge here is rather optimistic.    All I can say is that I am reasonably confident that Paul's centrepiece set is an original pair, not a later mix and match, and that it was not by Sowerby, Bagley, Davidson, or Jobling.

There are several quite close copies of early non-registered Sowerby Tynesyde designs which appear from time to time.   Another is of the 2505 Lily / Iris range, complete with a similar but not identical 2487 Star flower holder.

I wish I could help more.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 07:45:17 AM »
There is just one thing that I am certain of in all the above, and that is that Cheri's bowl is the Sowerby 2565 (which is also known in Carnival Glass as "Flora"). The bowl can be found with straight up sides, slightly cupped in or flared out (I think they called that flanged).

I am not totally sure that Paul's blue bowl is the same as Anne's green bowl. Paul's blue bowl appears to have 12 panels - and the apex of the flute (pointed edge of the "scallop") appears to be located at the moulded lines that form the panel sections.

Anne's green bowl has 16 panels, as had the blackpoppy bowl. The apex of the flutes around the edge appears to be more sharply shaped than Paul's bowl - and also the apex of the flutes appear to be located at the mid point of each panel.

I can't be sure from the photos, Anne, but there is an angular tear drop shape on each of the panels, by the centre of the item on your Davidson plate. Also there are more panels on the Davidson plate, but this could just be because of a size difference.

I have a feeling that Paul's bowl is not exactly the same as any other we have seen so far.

What I feel this does show, very clearly, is that manufacturers, agents, wholesalers and customers all mixed and matched their bowls and ladies!

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 10:36:38 AM »
Ooh  I never knew this was going to prove so interesting. The bowl does have 12 panels and now I look more carfully the "wave ripples" underneath noted earlier only occur on 2 out every 3 panels so 2 with, 1 without and this is the same all the way round. Don't know if this helps at all.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 11:38:12 AM »
Quote from: "Glen"

What I feel this does show, very clearly, is that manufacturers, agents, wholesalers and customers all mixed and matched their bowls and ladies!
Glen

:P  

May I quote you on that for future listings, Glen?

Thanks too for the ID of the pink bowl for me.
This has sure been a very interesting discussion.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Pressed Glass Centrepiece ID help Sowerby or Czech?
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
Anne's green bowl has 16 panels, as had the blackpoppy bowl. The apex of the flutes around the edge appears to be more sharply shaped than Paul's bowl - and also the apex of the flutes appear to be located at the mid point of each panel.

Just coming back to this topic to say that my two-piece set here:    http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-726 is also shown on Pamela's site now, as Bernsdorf, pattern dating from 1937.  Thanks Pamela, this one's been bugging me for ages.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand