No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heron Glass of England help please  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Krizzz10

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Heron Glass
    • United States
Heron Glass of England help please
« on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:21 PM »
I recently purchased a HERON GLASS iridescent mushroom at an estate sale.  I have been searching on ebay and Google Images and I can't find any that are acid stamped HERON GLASS like mine is.  It also has a white paper label reading "HERON GLASS - Handmade in England". I am trying to get some information about it. I see hundreds of Heron glass mushrooms on ebay but none of them are stamped HERON GLASS. Some of them have foil labels but are not stamped.  Can anyone help me identify some information like real Heron Glass versus fake/date/value on this piece? Anything? Or even some information about when HERON GLASS, England began? Ended? I appreciate anyone who takes the time to give me a little education. Thanks, Kristen

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Heron Glass of England help please
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:11:11 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board. We have a few topics here on Heron Glass (the Search function in the top menu will find them if you just put Heron into the search box), but to get you started here is one: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26308.0.html - one of the replies is by the daughter of Heron Glass's founder. Heron started in the early 1990s in Cumbria, England, and closed down a few years ago. Several of us have a few of their items. I've not seen one with an acid stamp but anything is possible and others may have seen them too.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:49 AM »
It's extremely unlikely that it is a fake, they just don't have enough value for it to be worthwhile. It may be that the retailer that imported them to the US asked that they be marked. Please post a picture

Offline Krizzz10

• Members
    • Heron Glass
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »
Thanks to both of you for replying to my glass question. The responses are somewhat contradictory so I am not sure what is the truth.  The first replier stated that Heron Glass, to the families knowledge, was never acid stamped.  Then I read the following on an Ebay article about Ditchfield Glass "Please note due to threats of legal action by amos 19106 on behalf of heron glass I must point out the following: Amos 19106 state on behalf of Heron glass state that "all Heron glass is stamped on the bottom and there is no attempt to copy anything".

So I feel like I am still looking for the true answer about Heron Glass being Acid Stamped.  Attached is a photo of my Heron Glass mushroom marks.  The label is older and paper, not foil like you see mainly. Can anyone tell  me if "real" Heron Glass from England is marked? Maybe all unmarked pieces are fakes? Just guessing. I appreciate, in advance, anyone who will share their knowledge with me. All the best, Kristen

Offline Krizzz10

• Members
    • Heron Glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:48 PM »
Sorry but my photo did not load up. I am sorry but it is too big and I can't seem to make it small enough.  It is acid stamped in a uniform type HERON GLASS. It also has a white paper, HERON GLASS - Made in England sticker. Kristen

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »
Kristen I own three pieces of Heron Glass and none of it is marked in any way, acid or label. One piece came in a Heron Glass box, one was confirmed as Heron by Amy Thistlethwaite (daughter of the founder), and the last by comparison with their former website images but if you would like to look through this page http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/british_glass/heron_glass/heronglass_home.htm you will see that many pieces are not marked and others are. As Christine said, there is no reason for Heron to have been faked.

Here is the 2009 news story as to the closure of the business, which also mentions how/when it started:
http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/ulverston/18_jobs_go_as_ulverston_business_closes_1_654790?referrerPath=2
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand