No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Alum Bay Jack in pulpit  (Read 1074 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
ID Alum Bay Jack in pulpit
« on: April 30, 2015, 09:14:24 AM »
Have bought this 9 inch tall Jack vase which is unmarked or labeled but which I thought may have come from Alum Bay due to colouring. Base is rounded with broken off pontil.
I would be very grateful for any opinions or thoughts on this

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: ID Alum Bay Jack in pulpit
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
the give away with Alum Bay - usually - is the indented base with recessed pontil scar, which has a slightly melted sort of finish  -  not sharp - similar to the finish on this piece.       We've discussed this previously but can't find the link at present - perhaps someone else can.
Their range of colourway was quite broad, and this could well be theirs, although I can't say for certain.   

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
I can and it is, Paul. ;)

Yes, this is definitely an Alum Bay JIP.  The colourway is absolutely correct and distinctive, as is the shape and the kicked up base.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »
Thank you for the confirmation, it make such a nice change to get an ID correct

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »
thanks Sue   .......   your reply reminded me a little of the joke, for which the punch line is  -   'it was, and she is' :)
shame I couldn't find the link I wanted  -  it was something to which I contributed a year or two back  -  but no matter since you've confirmed the op's thoughts.

have attached some pix of other Alum Bay 'bottoms', showing their typical recessed pontil scar, plus another pic of an iridescent piece which I've always called a jip, and was confirmed by Alan Green (ex Alum Bay) as definitely being theirs  -  not so sure it is though  -  perhaps I'm using too much imagination, but it did have a jip look to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand