No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Loetz? Console Bowl  (Read 1825 times)

Offline sephyra05

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • czech/bohemia art glass
    • United States
Loetz? Console Bowl
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:02:21 AM »
Hi, I am new to this forum, but was hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than me could give me some more information about this piece.

I am established EBay seller, and at a recent estate sale I recently I acquired a large (15" diameter) console bowl with 6 applied ball feet.

I just listed it ~ Here is a link to the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301618154426?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It is a brilliant transparent uranium yellow color, and has the appearance of true Vaseline glass in normal lighting. But here is the odd thing, at least to me,but I am by no means a glass expert. When a black light is placed near the sides or underneath the bowl it glows a most brilliant flourescent green, however if the light is held over the top of the bowl it doesn't glow AT ALL. If anyone could help me out as to the cause of this, and if it truly is Vaseline glass I would be grateful.
And one other thing, if anyone could tell me if this is truly a Loetz piece, it would be extremely helpful I have spent hours, (8+), trying to find a similar piece and have been unable to do so, thus far.
All indications with the mark point to it being made by Loetz, but I am not certain. It has a fire-polished rim, a ground pontil, and an acid etched mark on the pontil of CZECH- above the word SLOVAKIA in block letters within an oval circle.

THANK YOU in advance for any help you might give me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Loetz? Console Bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:34:19 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board.

I have moved your topic into the Market Place forum as it includes a link to your live eBay listing. If you read the forum description you'll see that such posts should only be made into this forum even if asking for help with an identification.

We don't have a problem with you asking for help in ID'ing items before you list them, in fact we encourage this, but once listed any such request will be moved here without notice if made anywhere else on the board.

You may find it helpful to read the posts in the Help and Info forum also - http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html -  but if you are unsure of anything please do feel free to ask.  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sephyra05

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • czech/bohemia art glass
    • United States
Re: Loetz? Console Bowl
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:08:43 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry. I actually was not going to list it until someone replied, but I was having trouble uploading pictures to the forum, so I thought that would be the best way for the pictures to be seen.
I would still appreciate any further info on this piece if anyone has any to offer. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand