No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: one of my newest Monart lamps  (Read 1318 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
one of my newest Monart lamps
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:46:22 PM »
bought last week  a nice Monart vase lamp with original twin  fitting , this lamp would have had a parchment shade at one time, interesting as on the label has been written  shape JE which is a ginger jar and they have even written it has no lid and it has been acid washed to diffuse the light so I am now wondering if this means that they also used the shapes of lidded jars for their lamps aswell as their vase shapes, as it would have been easy to make a lid for it if one had been broken etc compared to acid washing it and also getting a twin fitting made to fit exact diameter of inside of neck,  so an interesting addition to my ysart glass lamp collection
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: one of my newest Monart lamps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
Interesting label! How big actually is it?

I thought you already had one of these.... or was it two.....!

This is my lamp for shape comparison  :)

Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:45:33 PM »
Interesting label! How big actually is it?

I thought you already had one of these.... or was it two.....!

This is my lamp for shape comparison  :)

the one I have already is a different shape its shape OF but same colourway , theres some slight difference between the two shapes but not lots, width of neck and shape of shoulders differ

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
Nice find Gary, the label is interesting with the "no lid" written on it. The neck on your lamp looks slightly taller then the JE shaped ginger jar. Which I take it was larger so to accommodate the lamp fitting.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 11:44:45 PM »
Nice find Gary, the label is interesting with the "no lid" written on it. The neck on your lamp looks slightly taller then the JE shaped ginger jar. Which I take it was larger so to accommodate the lamp fitting.
Gary
yeah but if you look in the ysart glass book black and white catalogue plates the original photograph used shows that the  shaped JE had a very deep lid nothing like the  coloured one pictured on the ysart glass site which must be a variation of the original deep necked shaped JE , have a look and tell me your thoughts, I always check in the original catalogue aswell as on the ysart glass / Scottish glass site as a lot of the shapes variations can be either next to nothing or they can be a big difference some better than the original shape some not, with this piece the label was of as much interest to me for my lamp collection as the shape was as this could prove or help towards proving  they used the lidded jar shapes for lamps aswell as the vase shapes, maybe a customer wanted a lamp to go with a ginger jar(s) they already had or were purchasing or maybe we will never know but theres a chance over time another one or more will appear on the market with same idea written on the label

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand