No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fostoria American + Jobling 2077 Patterns + Other Lookalikes  (Read 5086 times)

Offline 2025dave

• Members
Fostoria American + Jobling 2077 Patterns + Other Lookalikes
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:30:36 PM »
Hi I am new to this board and I come to you from Dublin , Ireland.   :D

RE : Fostoria American + Jobling 2077 Patterns + Other Lookalikes

I found your page on the above Icecube pattern . I own this Jade Bowl ,
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/82295137@N00/sets/72057594110295132/

It is marked inside with "British Make" , the seams do not continue onto the base as I believe Fostoria American design does , also the star mark on the bottom is not as a Fostoria should be , I was also informed that true Fostoria has a more "melting ice cube" effect !!

I have found this exact bowl beig sold as a Fostoria even with the "British Make" mark ?????  In my opinion it can not be Fostoria !  :?  

Did Jobling mark with this stamp or is it another company copying the design ?

Glad to be here , Dave.    8)
Ebay User 2025Dave

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 03:32:10 AM »
Dave - Yours is the large Jobling jade 2077 bowl, absolutely, 100%, no question at all.

The problem with it is that it Jobling made it different enough from the American / Georgian pattern to escape any accusation of plagiarism, as they added a sunburst star at the base of the handles on the large bowl and between the handles on the small bowl.   So should the two Jobling bowls be included with the genre?   I prefer to keep them separate.

If you consider Tony's discovery in topic Chippendale Jacobean & Georgian, you will see that Fostoria were importing their American pattern into Britain via their agent, National Glass Co.   With any range going into a new market, there are styles that are different.   This explains the strange mix of styles made by Bagley.   On their own they are puzzling; considered as a supplement to the US range for the British market they make sense.   Just to confuse things, Bagley themselves named this range Honeycomb!

The Davidson cube sugar pot is interesting because there was no accompanying cream jug, and it looks to me as if it was made from an old Fostoria mould, punched with the inscription "MADE IN ENGLAND".   Here the initial target market was fairly obviously the catering trade.    That one example I found with a slotted preserve pot lid was an unusual exception.

Does that make sense?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline 2025dave

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:02:55 AM »
Thanks Bernard . Yes this does  kind of make sense , Jobling were the 1st company then to make this bowl which is similar to Fostoria American in the UK  ??  Was it being made before Fostoria imported some over to the UK ?
Is it scarse and worth listing on ebay ?  I could not find reference to the "British Make" stamp so I guess it dates to 1930's !
Thank you for your rapid response ,  Still a lttle puzzled , Dave.   :?
Ebay User 2025Dave

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 11:23:49 AM »
Tony, your's is often referred as the salad bowl and is reasonably desirable, particularly as it is in uranium glass and will fluoresce bright green under UV light. It may also have been sold with a black glass plinth as a centrepiece. It also has a little brother with slightly different handles. This was sold as a posy with a matching flower block (frog) and a black glass plinth, but the two I have handled were unmarked

Your bowl would probably sell but only in the few tens of £ - maybe less, postage will also be substantial as it's heavy. It ain't going to make your fortune unless it's one of those funny ebay days! :shock:

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Fostoria American + Jobling 2077 Patterns + Other Lookalikes
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »
I'm guessing there must be a fair old bit of this pattern out there and it just has not been photographed or brought to the front so to speak , here are two I have found in 2 days. same "British make" but slightly different fans.

The vase is 6 1/2 inches in height ( I'm guessing it's a celery) and the bowl 8 inches across the rim.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand