No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Mdina pulled ear vase?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Possible Mdina pulled ear vase?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »
When I first looked at it I too thought it was a side-stripe . :)

Then I thought it was predominately blue in colour ...couldn't work out the white at all , but I then concluded it could be a silver chloride 'gas'   type of reaction  under flash !

Sue , is this colour quite rare for these ? Is it possible to tie down the date within a five year period or not ?

Ta, Mike.
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 10:45:17 AM »
 ;D It was an inadvertent very clever trick with the camera.

The button rim does suggest "early-early", according to "conventional wisdom", and I've never seen one in this sort of colour with a wider slimmer flange, although I have with wider blobbier ones. I don't know where wider blobby rims fit in, the lumpy ones that are hoping to be flanges. However, button rims are not that uncommon on pullled ears, and I suspect there are too many around for them all to be Harris period, which also calls into question the wisdom of button rims all being of that period.

I'm still not sure what colour it is, yellowy-brown, or a more amethysty-brown. I think I've got an inside-out in this colour - but it's got so much silver stuff on it, doing light tricks, it's really hard to tell.

Blues do sometimes appear in photographs, because of the effects the silver produce with the light.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
Thanks Sue , so it might be post Harris, early to mid-seventies period at a guess then ....perhaps ? It's a very nice unusual piece (imho)  :D
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »
It might be Harris period, but all that can be said with certainty is early '70s.
It does have lots of nice silver effects. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand