No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identify this'Greener' 'Daisy & Button' Sugar Basin  (Read 3382 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Please help identify this'Greener' 'Daisy & Button' Sugar Basin
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »
Thank you, Nick, for your kind permission.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
will do Nick.       
It's late in the evening and I may be missing vital clues here, but am wondering how Margaret knew that Greener & Co. pattern 2006 corresponded with Rd. 71736 - if you read Fred's link there isn't an explanation from Margaret for the source of this information.           Presumably somewhere Margaret found a cross reference linking pattern 2006 with Rd. 71736  -  will someone kindly tell me the location :)

Is the Greener ad. for 'New Designs',  that Sid refers to, the same as the Pottery Gaz. ad that is mentioned elsewhere in this thread  -  if not then might the Rd. No. appear in the ad. that Sid refers to?

If Margaret is correct, then no doubt the Kew image will show only a salt - as this will have been the shape on which this design was Registered.
But that should be adequate for our purposes.

or am I missing the point entirely ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
the answer, I think, must be that Margaret was making an assumption  ............    the only Greener & Co. Registration during the first nine months of 1887 was 71736  -  there isn't another until mid September that year.

Quite logical really, and I suspect correct...........   top of the class Margaret.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 11:37:12 PM »
Christine

Your handled dish is shown in the 1887 advertisement as the Shell Sweet in the No. 2007 pattern.

Sid

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 06:00:56 AM »
Thanks Sid  :)

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
Sid,
Is the advert from 1887 you refer to, the same one that Paul refers to earlier in the topic as being 'designs for the 'Golden Jubilee' shown in 'Lattimore''? If not, is there another source available?
Kind regards
Nick

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »
pix attached showing the original photographic image submitted to the Board of Trade for Greener & Co. Rd. 71736 dated 09.04.1887, and possibly one of the most difficult to photograph.
Victorian sepia photographs have a reflective surface and over the years seem to have faded and lost definition and contrast, so apologies for the poor reproduction here  -  hope the effort was worthwhile and trust of some use.
Will leave it to others to comment as to whether this accurately represents the daisy and button/hobnail design as shown on Nick's sugar posted here, and the Pottery Gazette ad. referred to earlier in this thread, which shows items from the factory pattern No. 2006, designed for the Golden Jubilee.
Leaves me confused still as to Margaret's comment that this Registration referred to a salt - not seen in this picture, which appears to show only a photograph of a drawing of the design, rather than showing a specific item. 

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »
Nick

Greener had a six page advertisement supplement in the April 1887 edition of the Pottery Gazette of which Lattimore only shows one page.  Issues of the Pottery Gazette and successor journals have been digitized and are available through several on line subscription services (paid services).

Sid

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »
Paul

The post of registered design 71736 is helpful.  Clearly it is not related to the daisy & button design we are discussing here.

Sid

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »
Sid,
Thanks for that information on Pottery Gazzette adverts, I've seen lots of references to various companies P.G. ads so I'll have to explore subscription to one of the services.
Kind Regards
Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand