No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Sea Green Opal Glass Creamer  (Read 1351 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Sowerby Sea Green Opal Glass Creamer
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »
I cannot remember seeing a Sowerby creamer in the sea green opalescent glass before, the large daisy block boats and some hanging wall pockets are seen quite a lot.

This jug is marked on the base and inside the base with Sowerby peacock trade mark but no registration.
Height 3.75"

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Sowerby Sea Green Opal Glass Creamer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »
Certainly an uncommon piece, Roy.

I can’t recall seeing an opalescent sea green creamer before either, and I can’t currently find a pattern match in the Sowerby pattern books or my collection of reference photos.

The colour in the photo looks to be more ‘turquoise’ than green, but that may be because the opalescence seems much more pronounced than that usually seen in the Sowerby opalescent sea green pieces.

I presume that the creamer does not fluoresce strongly in UV light.

Fred

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:59:49 PM »
Hi Fred

The pictures do make the creamer look a bit more turquoise than it really is because I had to use the camera flash. But the opalescent is as you say quite pronounced around the base, handle and rim.

I had not really got around to checking the pattern , I think you would do a better job than me on that . I had only tried to check for any of the Sowerby carnival glass jugs but no luck.

The creamer does not fluoresce at all under a UV light.

Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »
A couple of pictures taken with out flash which still makes the creamer look more blue than the green which it is.

Roy

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »
Roy

It is Sowerby's 2062 line.  Very nice!

Sid

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members