No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cloud glass question.  (Read 1654 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Cloud glass question.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 04:36:41 PM »
I think the word is satinised David ;D ;D

Satinated is also correct, Paul! :D

The 'cog wheel' rim (called 'knurled' on www.cloudglass.com) is quite normal for this bowl and examples can be seen here: http://www.cloudglass.com/flower3.htm

It was produced as a 3-part flower set with plinth and flower support (frog). I have one in orange cloud but the cog wheel is much less prominent (= later manufacture?) and a black plinth, but the black frogs* - and particularly the orange ones! - are quite hard to track down. The No.20 bowl is similar, but with a shallower foot and is much scarcer.

*Anyone with a black Davidson 4-in flower support, please let me know  ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
As we know from our bumblings around shows, boot sales and fairs etc., anything in matt ( ;D) black is scarce - although the shiny (jet) black is not.         I almost never see matt black now  -  I don't know whether it was a Davidson speciality (in the U.K. I mean), or made by others.
Will look out for you but you could be in for a long wait.            Somewhere buried in the shed there is a matt black trio - 1910M I think - shown on page 92, but am certain the frog isn't 4.5"              Personally, I like the satinized/satinated black  -  always makes me think of art deco and the 1930/40's.

Was it produced by acid or sandblasting, or something entirely different.                       I know the W/Fs collectors use the word cogwheel for a similar but more pronounced decorative effect on the rims of some feet from that factory.
I don't know why the effect should be so noticeably strong and week on my two pieces  -  a mould defect quite possibly.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:34 AM »
just for the record here is the Davidson No. 20 - shallow footed bowl - that David mentions ..............   again showing the knurled decoration around the rim................   another three piece set of which this is all I have, and you can see the difference in the foot profile when compared to the No. 21.
Assume this is blue cloud, with purple streaks, and diameter is about 11" (280 mm) which seems a bit bigger than the book mentions, but no doubt there was some variation in size.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
Matte black is a rarity, and even more so a complete 1910 set, but I must "agree to disagree" about gloss black frogs - I hardly see them anywhere unless they're part of a set.

I always assumed that the matte finish was acid-etched. However, there are some bowls matte on the outside where it doesn't go affect the turned-over rim, so I assume these had an acid-resist mask.

The bowl you have there is blue cloud, but Chris Stewart always maintains there were often differences in the sizes, so these should always be seen as a guide only.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand