No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart vase - is it shape A ??  (Read 1053 times)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Monart vase - is it shape A ??
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just got this new vase, will post some better pictures of it later, but i am just wondering about the shape.
It is 8" high, pre-war,  colour 184 (I think - label is damaged) - is it shape A but an earlier version of the shape?

It is pictured centre with shape A on either side - they both have a distinct shoulder, this is much more of a sphere shape and a more pronounced deeper collar.

Can anyone please confirm this is definitely shape A.

I have also put some close ups of the colourway - very difficult to capture - the blue spirals upwards into the green with 4 "pull ups" and with lots of little bubbles. Sorry if they are a bit blurred -only used my phone.

thanks  for looking :D
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Monart vase - is it shape A ??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
I would say it is shape A and colour code 184.
Since Monart was hand blown, it was almost impossible to get a complete match in all the dimensions for any certain shape, hence the differences in some of the dimensions of your three A shape vases.
I am not sure you could call it an early version, as it has a circa 1930's label.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:40 PM »
Have to disagree Gary, regarding "it was almost impossible to get a complete match in all the dimensions for any certain shape,"
The Ysart family were all capable to make pieces to precise dimensions. While this might be true for some modern glass artists, glass blowers with a traditional training would be able to deliver to very close tolerances., That they chose not to with Monart is a completely different perspective. The rare matched Monart pairs are where you do find exact matches as too with lamp base necks and shades.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
Thanks,
I thought it was most likley shape A.  I have seen several of the pumice ones and ones with milky interiors that look more rounded, as does the one in the B&W Monart catalogue.  I thought it a possibility that the early 30's ones may be more rounded and then changed to a more shouldered shape. But I have now also found a couple of post war ones in this rounded shape so bang goes that theory! ;D

Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:44:21 AM »
I've watched glassmaking at the old IoWSG studio, where they were able to produce pieces with extremely fine accuracy with regard to dimensions, just using the pincery tool to measure them against a standard.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
Have to disagree Gary, regarding "it was almost impossible to get a complete match in all the dimensions for any certain shape,"
The Ysart family were all capable to make pieces to precise dimensions. While this might be true for some modern glass artists, glass blowers with a traditional training would be able to deliver to very close tolerances., That they chose not to with Monart is a completely different perspective. The rare matched Monart pairs are where you do find exact matches as too with lamp base necks and shades.
In light of what Frank and Sue have said, I will rephrase my original statement.
The Ysart's were able to make pieces to precise dimensions. But for what every reason, they did not keep to the same dimensions in every production run.
Hence the difference in Roberta's three A shape vases.
Below is two A shape vases. The one on the left has a Monart Ware label (V11:A:56), the dimensions are, height 17.5cm, width of opening 8.5cm and round the widest point 51cm.
The one on the right is a pre war piece, the dimensions are, height 16.5, width of opening 10cm and round the widest point 52.5cm.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand