No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old concentric weight with complex canes. ID = Bohemian (Egermann)  (Read 6450 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
I hope that I found my first "antique" paperweight :)
But as to maker / country I would kindly ask for your help...

Diameter 7 cm, height 4 cm, dished base leaving a stand ring with considerable wear.
Very heavy for its size (so I guess lead crystal?).

Setting of the canes is a little bit lumpy, but there are some very complex canes (even with the macro mode of my camera I cannot get all the details).
The centre cane seems to have the silhouette of a butterfly.

I was thinking either French (St. Mande or Grenelle), or Bohemian? 19th century?

Thanks for any help,
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Old concentric weight with complex canes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »

Hi Michael.  The canes look to me like Egermann canes...so you could call it Bohemian, and it probably dates to the mid 1840s.  There is a lot about Egermann millefiori (and other Bohemian / Silesian makers) in Peter von Brackel's 2010 book

Alan.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »
Hi Alan,
thank you very much -- great info as always!
And a very nice attribution for me (as a collector of Czechoslovakian glass -- though it could be referred to as Austrian glass I guess).
I wouldn't have thought that it was that old...

The bundled multicolour star canes are really impressive, I tried to count (or rather estimate), and they are made of more than 100 individual canes at a diameter of less than 10mm.

I guess I will have to buy the Brackel book.
So far my only paperweight book is Hall's "Lampwork and Millefiori paperweights", which is nice (particularly because of the many Chinese weights in it), but not very comprehensive...

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:09:22 AM »
Just an interesting "cross"-reference ;D I just found:
the nice cross paperweight (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56888.0.html) Sonia asked about some time ago, which was also attributed to Egermann, has two identical canes to mine:
The transparent-red-collar cane with the blue-red-white stars at 2 o'clock, and the two multi-stars canes towards the bottom of the pic >> cross paperweight

And I read in another thread Erhard's comment that Egermann was the only Bohemian manufacturer of paperweights to use lead crystal.

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand