No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnival glass mystery bowl  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Carnival glass mystery bowl
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »
Two new carnival makers in one day. This fella couldn't be happier.  :D

And another one...

... just kidding.  :lol:

Actually, I'll show you this as I think it's a truely awsome (cool) piece of carnival. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_48115.jpg

Double Stem Rose pattern by Dugan, ice cream shape. Thanks.

Gondola's and ice cream, lol, just one Corneto...

I'm sure that song was sung on a gondola, unless I'm going nuts.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrsspud

• Members
Re most Imperial Glass
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 05:04:48 AM »
It is to my understanding that Imperial Glass will almost always have an I in the bottom center of any type of glass they do and if you do have Imperial Carnival Glass you are a very lucky person. I hear that it is rare and hard to find. I have found a few pieces of Imperial Milk Glass. I thought I had some great Carnival but I found out it was true Carnival but it was newer like 10-15 years old and not worth a lot of money yet. Unfortunetley I found out with carnival you have to be very careful because what you think is old and worth a ton is really either a repo or very new. Good luck to everyone.[/img]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 07:07:17 AM »
Hi mrsspud and welcome,

To get a better understanding of Carnival glass, I highly recommend that you visit the site of the lady who has posted above, Glen:

www.carnival-glass.net

I think you will find the answers to your questions there, along with giving your eyes a wonderful treat.

:lol:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Connie

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 09:48:27 AM »
Mrsspud - Welcome to GMB

You are under a misconception about the marking of Imperial.  Early Imperial Glass is often not marked at all.

The company started in 1901.  Some early pressed glass pieces were marked with NUART and NUCUT in 1914.  Then in 1921 they began using the Imperial mark within a cross.  In 1951, the began using the G superimposed over the I mark (which is the most common mark seen).

Then in 1971 when Lenox took control of the company an "L" was added just in front of the IG mark.  In 1982 the company was sold to Arthur Lorch, a private investor and an "A" was added in front of the 'L"

The company was again sold in 1982 and a small amount of glass was made marked with a "N" over an "I" for New Imperial. The company ceased production in August 1984.

Offline mrsspud

• Members
thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 06:44:46 AM »
Thanks for the correction, I think the person who thinks she is trying to teach me is all wrong in most of her facts and I always come back and try to check them out online but most of the time that just leads me to ebay which is fine except I know Carnival Glass Pitcher and 8 goblets is not 9.99 of even 19.99. But I am begining to find others to help and give me better info. Thanks

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 07:23:13 AM »
First of all, I echo Connie's welcome, Mrs spud. And also, thank you Della, for your post above  :)

Connie gave a most informative explanation of the use of the various Imperial moulded trademarks. The only thing I would add is that Summit Art Glass (no longer trading) purchased a number of Imperial moulds some decades ago, and made Carnival items that retained a mixture of the LIG and ALIG marks.

I'd like to comment on a couple of things mrs spud said, if I may.

Imperial Carnival isn't particularly rare and hard to find. Some patterns, such as the marigold Fashion punch set, and the marigold Lustre (or Open) Rose bowls are reasonably available and not expensive.

What determines the rarity and value of Imperial Carnival (and indeed any Carnival) is the combination of pattern, shape and colour. Some patterns are hard to find, while others are more available. The same goes for colours - marigold is usually (not always) more plentiful, while the other colours tend to be more sought after.

It's actually the same with Contemporary Carnival Glass. Some "limited" items are very sought after, while others are plentiful and available.

So how do you figure out what's old, what's new, what's repro and so on? Well there is no easy answer. You need to read, talk to collectors, perhaps go to a Carnival Convention or an auction and chat with other collectors. There really is no substitute for handling the glass and getting to understand its characteristics.

You can post your questions here on the GMB, we'll always try to help. There is also an internet based Carnival Glass club http://www.carnivalglass.org
which has a subscription membership, where you can chat and post photos for ID etc., and there are a number of land based carnival clubs throughout the world too.

Hope this helps a little.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline mrsspud

• Members
thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 04:55:49 AM »
Thanks for your help here. Think I am going to switch over to silver and brass unless I know exactly where it came from and what it is, but I do so love glass. Tonight I got a cobalt blue shoe and some pressed glass hanging plates and my favorite a Frankomo Black "Crocus" vase. Had a great night at the auction and how was your night?? Thanks for the Info

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 08:21:45 AM »
If you buy glass that you enjoy the look of, then you can't lose. Choose things that are lovely and please your eye. Does it matter if they are not "old" or worth thousands, when they give you much pleasure simply by owning them and looking at them?

As for knowing exactly what something is and where it came from - well, that's not always a plus. There's magic and mystery involved when you don't know. And it's certainly not boring when there's a touch of the "unknown" involved.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline hynes-sight

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 01:18:18 PM »
WELL WELL WELL... The places people frequent that I know from other places.   Hi Glen.  Hi Cathy.  Nice to see familiar names - I don't feel like a new girl at school now.

Just had interesting read on the "GONDOLA" bowl.   So that's what that thing is that has been in my cupboard for at least 12 years !!!  

Must be an omen in this because mine has the number 12 at one end under the base and it is very pale amber/pinky'ish in colour.  Any idea on a value /  price range / worth for these??  Are we allowed to ask that here ??  Any links to past sales so that I can look ??

Julie

Offline hynes-sight

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 01:21:57 PM »
Seems I didn't get this in the place I wanted it to go.  What did I do wrong?  Thought I had the correct topic on screen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand