No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Eric Hoglund for Boda - early 1960s?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Eric Hoglund for Boda - early 1960s?
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »
Hiya everyone, I was in a charity shop with hubby the other day when he picked up this chunky glass thing and asked me who or what I thought it might be - I suggested Eric Hoglund.  Although it's probably instantly recognisable to many of you I was thrilled to be proven right when we got home and checked in some books because six months ago I'd not even heard of Eric Hoglund (ceramics was my thang previously).  We bought it for just a few pounds despite a few cracks (sadly it's been knocked about a little) because we thought it would be good to be able to handle and get a feel for his work.  It's also marked on the back but neither of us noticed that in the shop.  So a massive thank you to this board and it's contributors for helping increase my very limited knowledge of glass.  It's a largish lump at 9.5in/24cm x 4.5in/11.5cm and weighing a whopping 1720g.  See pics below...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/EH10001.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/EH20001.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Archive Candidate
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:34:16 PM »
:lol:  :lol: Well done, Pip.

8)  8)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 01:16:14 PM »
That's a very nice piece Pip.  :D  Very nice!  I've often seen the clear glass little bowls, but to find a larger piece in red is quite unusual.  Well done!   :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 02:13:23 PM »
Thank you Della and cheers Max - it's just a huge shame it's got cracks running through it   :roll:  but it still looks fab on display and is my first piece of Eric Hoglund.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 03:58:12 PM »
I know just what you mean Pip, I am learning all the time, and the info on here is a HUGE help in checking out that what I THINK I have learnt from books and websites is actually right.  ( Or wrong of course...which is still more often than not)

Every time I get something right without looking it up first, I get that lovely warm fluffy feeling inside!   :wink:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Eric Höglund
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:43:05 PM »
I just thought to pass along a little information about Erik Höglund, one of the most interesting individuals I have had the pleasure of meeting on
many occasions.

Eric was diabetic, having lost a leg and kidney to surgery and suffered a great deal from this illness.

His glass in the 1980's and 1990's created with the masters at the Studio at Stromberghyttan incorporated bright exciting colors and represented his attitude about life. His paintings during this period featured opague strong colors celebrating life.

While in his presence, he never complained and always seemed to be aware of his existence. Whenever I become a bit somber, I think about this wonderful man who enjoyed life.

His funeral was a celebration of life with a jazz band playing upscale exciting music, a real tribute to his memory.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 10:48:14 AM »
Lynne, you're too modest, I bet you get it right a lot more than you get it wrong!  

Bill, thanks for sharing those memories with us - it's really nice to know a little about the man himself from someone who actually knew him, he was obviously very interesting as well as talented.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 11:14:46 AM »
Hi Bill G,

Thank you for telling us about Eric Hoglund. He sounds like he would have been a joy to know; it's always good to hear about creative people who keep their charm after they become successful.

Pip - what a great piece!

Cathy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand