No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amethyst storage jar?  (Read 887 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Amethyst storage jar?
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »
Hi,this glass is about 5" tall,a browny amethyst colour with a lot of bubble and mould blown,I would say soda glass with a folded rim and very light,there is flat wear to the base but also some in one direction!?,there's also hint of wear to the inside of the rim,it has a sort of belly button broken pontil,Chinese like or maybe Israel maybe,the only thing is at 50p is it worth trying to fool anyone,any thoughts many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Amethyst storage jar?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »
Sorry,not mould blown before someone corrects me,blown and then the horizontal lines added when still soft I would imagine,at random intervals ,and I think that's what altered the shape abit.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:33:53 AM »
I had a chance to have a good look at this piece now and the one thing I should add is I've noticed wear lines,about as thick as hair,running in a parallel directions on the inside of the neck.,I thought at first this maybe signs some sort of stopper was used,but some do carry on beyond where say a cork would touch the glass.Photo2 does show a hint of the lines,right hand side a cm or so down from the rim.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:36:51 PM »
Not sure if it helps a lot but these are called cherry bottles in Germany and in Holland. Used for preserving cherries - hence the wide neck. I assume this is last quarter 19th to 1st quarter 20th.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »
What a lovely thing to be thanks Ivo,the opening to the outside is 2" and the wear to the inside of the neck makes a lot more sense if someone was using a spoon to remove cherries,preserved in alcohol one would hope? :),the dates do surprise me a little having just looked up glass preserving jars and found the Mason screw top jar was invented in 1850,perhaps in rural communities small time glass makers still kept producing such jars.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
The date was a stab in the dark, really.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »
I can't find much on the history of cherry preserving but if it is a known shape,I wonder if it doesn't fall into the late Georgian era of light and coloured soda glass with air bubbles such as the small jugs with folded rims,1790 to 1820ish or earlier?Please feel free to air your thoughts as mine aren't based on a huge amount of knowledge ::

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »
Stumbled over another today!this time with a much neater and smaller broken pontil,the interesting thing was the wear lines on the inside of the rim were much more pronounced hinting at a jar used for something,however a lot less wear to the foot?so the date has moved in my mind.The other thing I didn't mention in the original post was the shoulder of the jar has a hint of Matt for some reason and strangely so did the one I saw today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand