No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Valetta Glass on Malta  (Read 2971 times)

Offline glass newbie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • london
Valetta Glass on Malta
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:18:34 AM »
slightly off topic but just found the most curious thing, tiger pattern items marks valetta glass , which would make some of these items not exactly mdina ( as a company) but valletta glass instead, this was a company set up by paul said some 35 years ago , just goes to show just because something looks and sounds like a duck, it might be an impressionist swan instead .

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Valetta Glass on Malta
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:43:55 AM »
Valetta appear to have commissioned wares but I am not sure they manufactured anything themselves.

Offline glass newbie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • london
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:57 AM »
So they do manufacture but reading between the lines most of their stock is made elsewhere: "brand Valletta Glass", "craftsmanship in Malta and overseas", "maintained a close relationship with other craftsmen".

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »
http://vallettaglass.com/sample-page

Hi,

It looks as if we all missed the name Paul Said in the above link. http://vallettaglass.com/sample-page

According to Lizzy who works there, Paul worked at MDG..........  I need to get more clarification on this and I am sure Wolfie might add this information to one of his Topics.

Cheers,

Patrick.

This video shows Paul Said talking about glass .......... Fast forward to 2.10 to see him and later some glassblowing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u65Xr-ANuIM

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 02:03:19 PM »
Tiger was designed by Eric Dobson, it got renamed Marble at Mdina some time later.
The way it was put together changed, it became much flatter in execution, far less colourful and three-dimensional. It's hard to tell from the photos shown, but I suspect they are of the later, flat execution. The shapes shown support that - they are recent shapes.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »
slightly off topic but just found the most curious thing, tiger pattern items marks valetta glass , which would make some of these items not exactly mdina ( as a company) but valletta glass instead, this was a company set up by paul said some 35 years ago , just goes to show just because something looks and sounds like a duck, it might be an impressionist swan instead .

Simply Valletta and Mdina make very similar items in very similar colours.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 02:18:44 AM »
I just happened across a video showing glass being made at Valletta Glass, so am adding a link in case anyone wants to see it...     https://youtu.be/u65Xr-ANuIM
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand