No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone shed light on Art Deco (Modernist) coloured glass mirrors with bevelled edges  (Read 1748 times)

Offline NicholasHillDesign

• Members
  • Glass Collector
    • Art Deco Mirrors
    • United Kingdom
    • Family Business
To whom it may concern,

My name is Nicholas Hill, I have posted this in the hope that you may be able to shed some light on a particular period glass at the beginning this century, 1920-1940  think??

Please find attached the photograph of what I think is an Art deco English Mirror, this period in particular is of interest to me as I find the contrast of color and geometric forms particularly unusual.   I am interested in finding out more information about designers and glass makers of the period.

Firstly, I have gone down the V&A route with little result and they advise me they have little information on glass of the period I then went to Pilkington glass that gave me slight hope with there glass train that toured England during the period, however the mirrors do no appear in their 1920-40 archives either.

There is a little information (a couple of mirrors) appear in RIBA pics (the Royal Institute of British Architect web site), but not enough.  I seem to be getting closer to uncovering more information but rather stagnated at the moment...

I thank you in advance for any help and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Nicholas Hill
+44 7871 394 165
Nicholas Hill
Collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hello Nicholas, welcome to the GMB :)                ........       firstly, mirrors aren't my thing, but thought it worth commenting............

Your conclusions might be suggesting there is the possibility that this example is perhaps of modern construction, rather than period  -  it's always worth remembering that art deco is the name given to a style, and not necessarily to pieces which are from a specific period  - c. 1920's to c. 1940's, and due to its popularity there is much contemporary decorative 'art' made in this style.....    in fact I don't think the style ever goes out of fashion.

regret I've nothing really useful to add, but would suggest that if this mirror were seventy years plus in age, then evidence of this should be apparent.
Between the wars, mirrors for the domestic market were made in truly vast numbers  -  virtually every home had them, and the oval shape was perhaps most common  ....  in the hall, the front room, the dining room ............   I'm looking at one now in the room where I'm sitting, although it has a wooden frame.
What is the condition of the chains, the extremities of the glass, is there any loss of silvering etc.   ....   is the condition too good to be true?
Where did you acquire the mirror?               What makes you suggest English  -  the style was widespread throughout Europe during the period of which we're speaking, and then there is the possibility that yours is a modern copy of an earllier period design.

Yours may well be pre 1940, but being the pessimist that I am, and bearing in mind the vast profusion of these things, my thoughts are that unless you are exceptionally lucky then this is going to be a non-starter in terms of finding a maker, country or manufacturing year.

However, hope someone can prove me wrong, and best of luck to you in your search. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
I agree with Paul. You are across the road from me but if you were in the U.S. I'd say it was a piece from the late 80s into the early 90s called Deco Modern over here. It lasted about 5 years whereby people would use multiple pieces/sheets of contrasting glass shapes built upon one another to give a 3-D effect & some mirrors were used in conjunction with same. Yours reminds me of what we were doing although yours is a bit more reserved with only a couple of layers so perhaps its the European version.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Some detailed photos may quiete the doubters. I have handled a couple of Deco period mirrors recently and there is no comparison to modern mass produced wares - thickness and glass quality combined with the number of bevelled cuts let alone the fittings make it possible to differentiate.

My favourite was a large three colour mirror in the shape of a yacht  with pale green, blue and peach sails, wish I could have afforded it...

Not all items are found in manufacturers catalogues (if they survive), finding a given maker may well prove difficult.

John

• Members
  • Glass Collector
    • Art Deco Mirrors
    • United Kingdom
    • Family Business
Hi John,

Many thanks for your prompt response, and I am of your opinion too, the number of bevelled cuts, quality of the glass, oak backing, original chain all point towards it being original art deco c.1930.

Where can I find manufacturers catalogues and who may they be?

Kind regards and thank you all for your input, I shall respond to each of you individually.

Nicholas
Nicholas Hill
Collector

Offline Paul S.

• Members
yes, John, we're dying to know ;D ;)

oak backing and original chains do help to substantiate originality, which is good, you'll forgive us, we hope, our scepticism Nicholas.

Can you also explain for our benefit (or at least mine because I'm thick) how the number of bevelled cuts may differ - assuming they do, and is the silvering perfect or is there some spotting - a common occurrence on older mirrors.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hello Nicholas and welcome to the board.  :)

I have something of a passion for old mirrors too, so have been searching for online reference sources for them.  Here are some places you may not have found yet:

Rakow Research Library at Corning Museum of Glass digital archive has material on mirrors:
http://www.cmog.org/research/library-search/mirrors

The Internet Archive has a collection of old books and catalogues which have been scanned and uploaded for free use, they include catalogues containing mirrors:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=mirrors

Here is a Whitefriars mirrors catalogue of a much earlier date too, for reference:
http://whitefriars.com/catalogues/1865/index.php

Is your mirror made in stacked layers, or is each colour on the same layer?  Clear closeup pics of the back and the fittings might help with eliminating later copies, if you could add some please.

Paul, you are right about spotting on the silver etc on old mirrors, but many do seem to survive well with no such damage - I have two such!  ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline user9318

• Members
I have had two art deco period mirrors of similar two colour layers. different shape both of them and also different to yours.

They also had original oak backing and chains like yours has. Sadly, I do not have any other information to offer you, apart from the description you have given throughout, they sound like yours are of the period.

• Members
  • Glass Collector
    • Art Deco Mirrors
    • United Kingdom
    • Family Business
Hi Anne and All,

Many thanks for the help, I shall go down Anne's route and will get some close ups together for you.

Each colour is one layer, the silvering is in excellent condition, the back upon closer inspection is Oak, but veneered on ply.

This mirror in particular has a lot of cuts to the bevel, if you zoom into the mirror they are just apparent. ( I will take some close ups and post them asap.)

Again thank you all for the information and knowledge you bring, very much appreciated.

Kind regards, and communicate soon.

Nicholas Hill
Nicholas Hill
Collector

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand