No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Feigl & Morawetz Libochovice no. 1917 w/ unknown Brass  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Feigl & Morawetz Libochovice no. 1917 w/ unknown Brass
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 02:37:28 AM »
I recalled mentioning a discussion about moulds with the late David C Watts (author of A History of Glassmaking in London) where he said that 4 moulds would usually be the norm.. see http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,60606.msg342089.html#msg342089
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 12:00:05 PM »
For London. This side of the Iron Curtain. Where profits are the overriding concern and mould making is expensive.

There was money available for culture and the arts on the Eastern side. It is likely, I think that far more moulds were made there, and there are a few designs that have been found that do not seem to have been made in huge numbers, which makes me suspect moulds were made far more promiscuously, unconfined by commercial overlords.

That is good info. Anne, thanks, but I'm really not sure it can be applied here. :-\

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 07:30:07 PM »
We don't know that for sure though. 

Also pre-war may have been a different monetary position to post-war.   Molds were re-used post war so there may have not been a) money available at certain periods to re-make molds and b) the person-power available to make the pieces, depending on time frame obviously as the term 'post war' covers a very long period up to now.

Pre-war, would they have been any less efficient in their processes than they were anywhere else?  I know there may have been more person-power available to make glass, but cost and efficiency would still have been a factor.  Mrs Graydon-Stannus makes disparaging remarks about continental glass being sold here so it may have been at a lower capital cost as well.  Therefore they would have had to make their systems efficient surely?

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 06:37:32 PM »
This article is about Carnival Glass and is from Glen and Stephen Thistlewood and their site 'Carnival Glass Worldwide'.

The discussion is around a candlestick with the word Tchecoslovaquie impressed on the base.  The article appears quite emphatic that with the impression of that mark it dates the mould to 1918-1938:

'On the base of our single stem candlestick is the moulded word TCHECOSLOVAQUIE, which dates the production of the mould to between 1918 and 1938 (before WW2)'
and
'... It seems possible – even likely – that the candlestick mould for 1224 (Sublime Deco) was made before this time, possibly in the somewhat more settled years of the early 1930s (we know, because of the TCHECOSLOVAQUIE mark, that it was made before 1938).'

https://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/sublime-deco.html

Incredibly interesting article about Libochovice  and mentioning Feigl & Morawetz with discussion around pre and post war.

In summary then:

- It seems from this article above that the mark dates the mould being made between 1918 and 1938. 
- The outstanding question on the vase on this thread is whether the moulds with those marks were still used after the war to continue to produce. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand