No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czechoslavakian Chrysophase glass. AND Cellophane  (Read 26097 times)

Sklounion

Le Casson can you...
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 11:27:50 AM »
"How's your German, Marcus?"
Ivo,
Worse than my Czech or French, so will access the Czech versions.
Thanks for the pointer, seems an extremely interesting site.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Le Casson can you...
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 03:03:24 PM »
For research purposes you should contact him, his database of CZ glassworks and publications is fabulous. As luck will have it most of the glass brochures are in German - the trade language of the time - not in czech.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Le Casson can you...
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 02:33:48 PM »
New information.

Harrachov glassworks introduced chrysoprase c 1827 a coloured glass that is a mixture of uranium glass with bone or alabaster glass.

Spelling of chrysoprase corrected here and in other threads.

Obviously much earlier than this threads subject! But it does show the term was used by Harrachov. If anyone has a piece of this glass can they check if it is Uranium glass?

(Source withheld as part of ongoing research)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Czechoslavakian Chrysophase glass. AND Cellophane
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 03:27:31 AM »
I don't know whether this adds anything to this discussion or just confuses things, but according to Langhamer's The Legend of Bohemian Glass, "the 1830s brought the first glass colored with uranium oxide" and Harrach "made uranium glass containing some alabaster under the name 'chrysopras' (1831), and later perfected a uranium yellow glass."
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 06:47:36 AM »
Correction, please. The first uranium glass dates from 1830 (not circa) and was made by Franz-Anton Riedel.

"Chrysopras(e)" is an opaque apple-green banded chalcedony.

What Langhamer refers to is in the range of imitation semi-precious stones which was pioneered by Harrach'sche, Egermann and Bucquoy -  but Chrysoprase was not perfected as a solid colour until 1843 when it was launched by Baccarat.

Uranium oxide as a colorant was used for imitation precious stones before it was developed for colouring glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »
Thanks Ivo, I am fairly certain that the Chrysophase I seek was a product name used 1920s-50's or 60's latest and probably not uranium, just marvered and cased glass with aventurine found in apple green, pastel blue and pastel pink.

Somewhere there must be one with a complete label. But at least we have gotten a lot further in the last 4 years than in the last 20 of hunting.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
Cellophane vase for sale here with an acid etched mark on the base.
In case the sale disappears, the vase is orange splotches with a black?(v.dark brown?) splotched (smaller splotches than the orange effect on the body) effect around the rim.
The shape curves down from the rim into a small bottom that has an applied clear glass foot.
The base has a fairly large pontil mark (but not wide like a French pontil mark or a Stevens and Williams pontil mark) with an acid etched mark on it. 
The acid etched mark is a circle with what appears to be two letters inside it (bad photo or bad mark and difficult to photograph).  The letters appear to be IU or nI - very difficult to tell.
Described by seller as:
'This is very heavy and solid measuring about 7 1/4" tall and 5 5/8" diameter. Very thick glass that has layers of deep orange/red and black, over a clear end of day orange spotted layer.  ...'
http://www.rubylane.com/item/518922-419jax78-285a/Antique-Signed-Czech-Fine-Glass-Vase

Just posting in case the mark helps id it.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
Nicely spotted, have asked seller for clearer picture with advice on doing that.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 11:35:16 PM »
I'm not sure where this fits in really but this evening I just suddenly wondered whether the 'cellophane' vases we see were made by Reich Krasno
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2014-1w-menay-reich-vase-1934.pdf

see page 5 on the link (seite 5/7) and 2nd photo down on the right hand side of the page

So adding that here just in case I forget :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »
having read the whole thread now I realise I was repeating information already discussed about Reich  :-[ apologies.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand