No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czechoslavakian Chrysophase glass. AND Cellophane  (Read 26265 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Czechoslavakian Chrysophase glass. AND Cellophane
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 06:29:59 PM »
According to this site, the maker of the vases known as 'cellophane' glass here on the GMB appears to be Hantich

http://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/vaza-vrstvene-sklo-923/detail/

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »

Having translated that site, it looks to say 'probably Hantich' so eek, perhaps not yet definitive.  In fact it is designated with an asterisk so they say that means 'possibly'.

The vase in this link though, definitely has the Made in Czechoslovakia mark on it:
http://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/vaza-vrstvene-sklo-923/detail/

There is some interesting information in this link to ICOM glass review no 2 (2013?) about Hantich Glass on pages 15-19

https://issuu.com/icom-glass_reviewsonglass01/docs/review_on_glass_2/19

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:35 PM »
Wow. Well found m. Frank's been looking for over 20 years!

Were you just googling or did you have a direct lead?

I see the google English transaltion of "váza vrstvené sklo" is "lamimated glass vase". Could that be a factory description or a collector / researcher name. I guess it's better meaning is "layered" (or "cased").

Yes, "probably" stated at the end of the text.

KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 08:58:30 PM »
Kev I honestly cannot remember how I found that site now!
I've not had time to do any researching recently and just every now and again decide to have a potter :) 
I was searching for some Bohemian cameo glass I think and just came upon it and decided to do some exploring on the site.

I've been modifying my post as you wrote and it does say 'possibly' (asterisk) and then 'probably'.

But I suppose it's something to go on when up to now we have had nothing, not even a sniff of a name, which is ridiculous given that these do crop up at least annually.
Also one of those is marked Czechoslovakia so we have two now with marks (can't remember what colour the Ruby Lane one was, so it might be the same vase for all I know, but we do know it's marked at least).

Anyway, another link in the puzzle.  I have to say it's at least plausible as a maker.

The reason I'm interested is because I have an amber piece with green streaks internally cased in it.  It's very hefty and heavy looking and reminds me very much of the cellophane vases.  I've always though they might be the same maker.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 09:04:50 PM »
Kev I replied above but just to say that after I replied, the very next post I clicked on in the Bohemian glass section has a link to that same site!  That is a huge coincidence.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »
M said two posts above:
... can't remember what colour the Ruby Lane one was.
It is amber blobs with some hint of pink and very dark and purple streaks in a wide band at the neck.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 09:23:24 PM »
Great.  So definitely two marked 'made in Czechoslovakia'.  :) Progress!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »
That is brilliant, and it is 30+ years Kev :-) Will explore that more next week.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »
ooh, fascinating given my amber with green streaks vase comment:

That same Bohemian glass site has these listed as Loetz non-identified (no asterisk next to the title)

http://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/loetz1/neidentifikovane/nid-22/

Amber with green streaks and crackle in the amber - that is identical to my bowl decor :)

and funny that I posted on this thread saying the vase/bowl reminded me of the construction of my amber bowl with green streaks

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,67845.msg377522.html#msg377522

because that Bohemian Glass site also has what I believe to be that range listed as Nonidentified Loetz:

http://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/vaza-nid-18-new-chalcedon-gold-glass-3138/detail/ 

again no asterisk against it (there are others on there with asterisks), where the asterisk I believe denotes a 'possible'.

m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 10:49:42 PM »
Loetz long since got trashed as a source.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand