No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: old glass tortoiseshell effect ridged posy vase - who made it? ID= Welz  (Read 1421 times)

Offline hashingbaby

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
An old tortoiseshell effect glass posy vase with ridges and pumpkin sides and scalloped rim. Dimensions - 7 cm High, 7 cm rim diameter, 4 cm base diameter 8.5 cm diameter at its widest.

Can anyone kindly tell me who made this - Sowerby? When was it likely to have been made - late 19th C? And is it rare as I can't find much info on the internet about this kind of glass.

Thanks.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: old glass tortoiseshell effect ridged posy vase - who made it?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »
Wonder if this is Czech, maybe Welz ?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 01:25:43 PM »
Definitely Welz but an unusual decor I think. Late 19th/early 20th C. It should have a kind of pedestal like this https://d3h6k4kfl8m9p0.cloudfront.net/stories/oHnyDFcEPWrW4bN4pamigA.jpg

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 04:50:30 PM »
This is definitely Welz, in a less frequently seen decor.  Great example.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 09:35:12 PM »
just for the sake of hearing my own words again...…………  ;)      Sowerby did in fact make a 'tortoiseshell' colourway - which I assume very rare - but it didn't look anything like this anyway.         There is an example (a novelty bucket) on page 54 of Raymond Notley's 'Popular Glass of the 19th & 20th Centuries' - which is one of the Miller's guides   -    the colour is more of a striated/variegated sort of amber  -  quite a subdued appearance in comparison with this Welz piece.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: old glass tortoiseshell effect ridged posy vase - who made it? ID= Welz
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:26:17 AM »
Here are some other examples of the decor from my personal collection, on some different shapes. The tallest piece in back, and the trophy vase on the right, are a different decor, but the other 4 are the same decor as the posted example.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline hashingbaby

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Re: old glass tortoiseshell effect ridged posy vase - who made it? ID= Welz
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 02:02:39 PM »
A big thank you to everyone who took the trouble to reply and send me wonderful photos of Welz glass. Such an amazing amount of knowledge out there and so kind to help me ID my glass. Thanks again, Sally

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand