No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass Czech style perfume bottle made in Japan  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Pressed glass Czech style perfume bottle made in Japan
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
I was convinced this would turn out to be Czech, but was really surprised to just about see acid etched mark MADE IN JAPAN.  Its minuscule and really difficult to photograph, but I will try to do a better image of the mark.
I don't know if this has featured in the past at all, but for reference now we know ;D
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Re: Pressed glass Czech style perfume bottle made in Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:49:38 PM »
Curiously Anne I have just been reading up on these bottles in a book I recently purchased Czechoslovakian Perfume Bottle and Boudoir Accessories by Jacquelyne Y Jones-North. Apparently they are reproductions or copies of Czech designs made in Japan not meant to deceive but just copying a good design to make money. Irving W Rice of New York seem to have imported many of these they appear regularly on Ebay with the Made in Japan stamp and a IRICE paper label.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »
That's interesting :) :-*  Are these repros still being made today or do they date back a while?
Anne E.B

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »
She doesn't actually make that clear Anne, although I have seen some marked Made in Occupied Japan so I guess that makes them quite old, she does say that since Czech republic has become an independent state numerous original moulds thought to have been 'lost' have reappeared and are being manufactured, as many as 80 different designs...I have this one in my collection I believe is a reproduction one it has absolutely no wear on it at all to be fair the seller didn't say it was original.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »
Not certain but perhaps I can add a bit to what Angela stated. Now pictured is an imported Japanese perfume to the U.S. by Irving Rice, probably the most successful & influencial overall vanity importer in U.S. history as they have been in business importing Czech, West Germany, Japan, and finally Taiwan vanity items for at least 8 decades. I bought this 12/14 at a large local monthly show at our state fairgrounds from a quite knowledgable vanity items Japanese lady. She stated it was from the late 1950s & we had a brief discussion centering on if the label was removed it could easily pass as Deco style Czech. I bought it as a documentary example of what IRice was importing during this time period, took a picture & put it in my mall intact with label & documentation.

Of course you can imagine what happened next. A fellow dealer bought it (I know this because another dealer saw the dealer go to my showcases & buy it as soon as I left) immediately removed the Japan Import label & renamed it 30's Czech in his showcase with a 50% markup. Typical behavior.

Anyway it might (or might not) help add to the topic.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:32:37 PM »
Also if there is/was any doubt regarding IRice Japanese perfume bottle imports this up to date U.S. eBay listing page gives you an idea of the scope & several of these are close to a Czech like appearance.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xirice+perfume+japan.TRS0&_nkw=irice+perfume+japan&_sacat=0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand