No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass swan ashtray  (Read 2924 times)

Offline susan a

• Members
glass swan ashtray
« on: June 21, 2006, 02:56:01 PM »
I recently "inherited" a glass ashtray in the shape of a swan (inherited because nobody wanted it).   I don't know where to start looking to determine if it has any historical or monetary value.  

The swan is about 10 inches tall, 9 inches long, and weighs nearly 3 pounds.  It has a long S-shaped neck, and an open body with two cigar or cigarette rests.  The neck, body and tail appear to be made of one continuous piece of glass.  From the neck, the body fans out to form a bowl, and the tail appears to be stretched from the body.  It is smooth glass, not rough, and has a smooth lined texture both outside and partially inside the body.  The neck is smooth from base to crown.The color is an amber and sort of mother-of pearl milky combination, with a few streaks of teal in the bowl of the body.    It has a clear glass or clear crystal comb, beak, cigar rests, and base, and a bright teal eye.  Its base is a big glob of clear glass, with no markings besides a big X and a rough texture.  

What kind of glass is it, if anyone knows?  And why would someone consider it a collectable?  Thanks very much.  Susan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
glass swan ashtray
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »
Swans were made everywhere in every conceivable shape and size both as production and as friggers.

We really need a picture to even start, you can 'upload' some pics here (Under 200k each) http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/

Then copy the link from below the pictures and paste into your message here.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline susan a

• Members
glass swan ashtray
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:08:06 PM »
Do you mean that I should take a picture of this object, or that I should look through your archives for a similar object?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
glass swan ashtray
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:37:04 PM »
Susan, can you take a picture of your swan and then upload it to our GlassGallery (we have a help message how to do this here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

If you get stuck and need some help either ask here or drop me an e-mail (see button at the foot of this message for my e-mail address).
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand