No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Question about Riedel Glass Kneeling Lady Lamp Base - Made in Japan  (Read 1728 times)

Offline auliya

• Members
I recently acquired this frosted lady lamp base and wondered if anyone knew anything about it's origins. It looks very much the same as the ones attributed to Riedel - same size etc, however the base edges do look a little sharper on this one, and it is stamped "Made in Japan". Any information would be gratefully received :-)

thanks
Auliya

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Question about Riedel Glass Kneeling Lady Lamp Base - Made in Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 02:40:54 AM »
I actually saw & handled one of these about 6 months ago in a small mall, also marked Japan. My problem was I did not have an original to compare size, however I was definately under the impression that the one I held was perhaps a full 1/3 smaller than the original Riedel. There were no holes drilled as for a lamp base & the lamp socket would have to be a small night light type to even come close to fitting. I believed after inspection it was simply meant to function as a candlestick, but I may be mistaken. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline auliya

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:26:19 AM »
Thanks for your response. This one is the same size as the Riedel one (I found the measurements online as I don't have one) - 8.75 inches (22.3 cms), larger than the Rotterdam base. The candle holder section at the top is much the same size as the Rotterdam, and would take a double sided gallery with the light fitting in the upper section, so the size of the holder part is not important on these. I have attached a photo to show you. The Rotterdam has the type of fitting I mean.
cheers
Auliya

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:58:38 PM »
My fault. I thought the base in question was like the one shown on the left of your photo not the one you show on the right for comparison which is a different base. I thought it was more like this one which has the cord running through the base.
http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/Miscellaneous_&_Unknown_-_Lamps/fs_176.JPG

Offline auliya

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 03:08:54 AM »
Someone has told me that they read in a book on Czech glass that during the War, after Germany had invaded, the west was unable to access glass items from the Czech manufacturers, so popular lines were commissioned to be made from copied molds in Japan, by the suppliers in the US. This makes sense but of course is not set in concrete. It also makes sense that they would have been unlikely to use US makers because of copyright issues, which were not a factor in Japan at the time. So, the person telling me this wondered if the date of manufacture on this would be between 1939 and 1941 when America entered the war against Japan.
Does anyone know anything about this?
thanks
Auliya

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 05:38:44 AM »
No I do not although from a historical standpoint I find that to be close to a fairy tale. The U.S. & Japanese problems with one another started in 1931 with the invasion of Manuchuria & highlighted by the invasion of mainland China in 1937.  Japan wanted raw materials beginning in the late 20s & the U.S. & several european nations blocked Japanese efforts to increase their power in asia. The years sandwiched between these dates were anything but cordial especially after 1924 when the U.S. Congress forbade all immigration from Japan. I certainly do not from a historical standpoint see the U.S. entering into any trade agreement pertaining to Japanese for glass imports from 1939 to 1941 leading up to Pearl Harbor. Quite the contrary at that time in history.

Now after the war when we occupied Japan we did allow trade again so it may have been possible if the Czech's glass production was crippled by the military actions of WWII that restrictions were eased...that I do not know.

Offline auliya

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 06:00:26 AM »
I don't think it was suggested it was a US - Japanese trade agreement as such rather an arrangement with a private supplier, but this is just some information that was passed on from someone who had read something in a book on Czech glass. Given there seems to be next to no information around about these lamp bases so I thought I would throw it out there for discussion. Thanks for input. What do you think might be the story behind the MiJ copy? I don't believe it is recent - it looks and feels like it has some age to it
cheers
Auliya

Offline auliya

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 06:09:46 AM »
Ohio - Would it be possible that these were made in Japan in the years after the war, before Europe recovered and started production again? Would the US have imported glass at that time?
cheers
Auliya

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »
Unlikely. Japan was occupied by the Allies until 1952 and any post-War production would have focused on essentials, not luxuries. There are a lot Japanese ornamental goods found in the UK from the 1950s/60s mostly marked Foreign (in the UK we wouldn't have purchased anything marked Germany or Japan for quite a long period post-War), so yours may date from this period when Japan was trying to earn foreign currency or have been produced under licence pre-War.

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
Hi Auliya...it was me who you had this discussion with on facebook...just to clarify, it was an article I read in a book referring to Czech perfume bottles not this actual piece...the perfume bottles are reproductions of Czech moulds which is why they differ in sizes and details  slightly, not copies meant to deceive rather a way of selling good design to the masses rather than collectors. Some perfume bottle are marked Made in Japan or even Made in Occupied Japan. Bottles are still reproduced them today now with original moulds that have been rediscovered since the Czech Republic became independent. They appear on auction sites all the time and are easily identified as 'modern'. No doubt importers in countries not at war with Japan had no problem buying such pieces when the real thing was no longer available. I don't think I suggested the allies would have bought Japanese goods during the war. Though you never know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand