No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars trial weight PR400 (Actually a PR402 non-trial)  (Read 2259 times)

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Whitefriars trial weight PR400
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »
Opps - guess what I forgot to do !!
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »

Hi Dave

I was told that the 'first' quality pieces sold in the shop were stock that had not been taken by the retailers in previous years - so there would be no real conflict.

Here is another example of the design - without facets.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline boxed

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • northern england
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 05:01:41 PM »
Thanks for the added info dave  :)
joe

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »
Hi Joe,
            your paperweight is a PR402 which was a production item and not a trial.

I think the auction house are being disingenuous here!!! Or do I mean, they are lying!

The reason I say that, is that I contacted them about this very example and gave them a full explanation of the "S" on the base and its model number.  They acknowledged my comments and accepted my reasoning. To later call it a "5" is very naughty.

There were a lot of this model PR402 that carried an "S" on the base. That suggests that either they were difficult to make (I can't see why this should be the case), or an inexperienced person made them ( also no evidence) or finally that they indeed had a lot left over from a production run. In my view, after having looked at several of these, I think this last explanation is the most likely and that your example is perfectly good quality sold off through the staff shop!!

Good luck with it and enjoy it,

Regards,  Tony

Offline boxed

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • northern england
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »
Hi tony
thanks for clearing this up i suppose auction houses are a little bit naughty with discriptions
Thanks for the info i can use if i come across another similar piece
all my best
joe

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »
Joe i also told them it was an s , i have even had s weights with a sticker stuck poorly  over the S , one like yours without the S  sold for over £400 a couple of years back .

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »
Naughty or not, I think there is another explanation.  I've found that auction houses are very cautious on accepting new information from potential bidders.  They are not experts and have to use considerable discretion as to whether or not to pass on information not published in the original listing.  The danger is obvious, someone may be attempting to influence the bids.  At best, I would expect the auctioneer to announce that the listing may be in error and the bidders who are uncertain should not bid. 

I remember one particular auction (in the US) which advertised a New England Carpet Glass Company Ground paperweight.  I went to the auction, viewed a Murano carpet ground (not NEGC), and informed the auctioneer who acknowledged that several others had already shared that information.  During the auction, the auctioneer stated that the attribution was in question and that if you were uncertain what you are bidding on, please don't bid.  The paperweight in question sold for about $1,000 US.  Doubting my own judgement, I was in line behind the winning bidder and asked to examine the paperweight again when he was checking out.  It was still a Murano.  He noted that I had purchased a Baccarat closepack signed 1849 (no B) and informed me that it was a fake date.  I chose not to correct him.  ;D ;D

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand